Mathematics SL or Mathematical Studies SL?

ultimateone

Hello everyone!  :) 

So I'm planning to do Medicine in Australia after the IB course, and as most of you know (or now you know), that in Australia, particularly NSW, don't necessarily have an pre-requisite subjects, they just want a very high IB score (translated to an ATAR equivalent) and a UMAT test score (Undergraduate Medicine logical test).

I am currently in a dilemma on whether to take Maths SL or Maths Studies SL, I am looking for a 7 in either because ultimately, a high IB score is what I'm looking for. I got a grade 'A' in IGCSE Maths, but the thing is no one has achieved a 7 in Maths SL in my school, the highest was a 6, so it got me worried. It made me consider Studies since that would be a near-guaranteed 7. I've seen many people who have 7s in Maths SL in this IBSurvival forum, but people in my school don't get 7s, so please, if you are one of these people with 7s or aiming for a 7 in Maths SL, could you share your study techniques? and perhaps share your opinion on its difficulty?

However, there is an assumed knowledge of HSC Mathematics (which is equivalent to Mathematics SL in the IB). But I honestly don't understand why there's any Maths involved in Medicine, my cousin studies Med too and he graduated with Maths Studies, and he says that all the only real Maths you do in Medicine is statistics-involved concepts, and that is a big portion covered in the Mathematical Studies IB course. I mean... you don't see a doctor doing calculus and calculating logarithmic functions!  :shifty: 

I can take Studies and if I need any more Maths knowledge that I don't have, many universities over bridging courses, which is basically a two-week-long crash course in the field of study and that would give me what I need to know (should I need to know it). So what do you guys say? Is it better if I take Maths SL now and work more, or rather get a 7 in Maths Studies and then just take a bridging course later on before I begin uni?

Thanks in advance for any help, it would be greatly appreciated!  :phone:

Personally, I believe taking Math Studies is a complete waste. Math SL is the minimum you would need to get in to a good medical program. Math HL, although certainly NOT required, would help you quite a bit during admissions, but let's not even talk about that, considering the amount of effort required to even get a decent score.

I've taken Math SL, and it certainly isn't difficult. Sure, you need to practice a lot, do all the past papers you can, but isn't that the same for every subject?

I believe a 7 in Math SL is not difficult at all for anyone who is willing to put in the effort, and the fact that you are showing concern so early in the course, means that you are in fact willing to do whatever it takes. 

So, to put it simply, Take Math SL, and forget about Math Studies, because it basically tells universities that you looked for an easy way out by picking the easiest math course, which will put you at a disadvantage right from the get-go, especially for a competitive program like Medicine.

I wish you the best of luck, my friend.

:D

• Like 3

Personally, I believe taking Math Studies is a complete waste. Math SL is the minimum you would need to get in to a good medical program. Math HL, although certainly NOT required, would help you quite a bit during admissions, but let's not even talk about that, considering the amount of effort required to even get a decent score.

I've taken Math SL, and it certainly isn't difficult. Sure, you need to practice a lot, do all the past papers you can, but isn't that the same for every subject?

I believe a 7 in Math SL is not difficult at all for anyone who is willing to put in the effort, and the fact that you are showing concern so early in the course, means that you are in fact willing to do whatever it takes. 

So, to put it simply, Take Math SL, and forget about Math Studies, because it basically tells universities that you looked for an easy way out by picking the easiest math course, which will put you at a disadvantage right from the get-go, especially for a competitive program like Medicine.

I wish you the best of luck, my friend.

Thank you! But how's your background in Maths? You might be saying it's easy because you're competent in it! :')

Hahahaha, well, I got an A* in IGCSE Math.

But that doesn't really mean I'll do as well in the IB. A 6, seems to be the score I'm consistently stuck on and that's probably because I neglect math more than I should, partially due to the extra attention I pay to my HLs.

I'm sure if i put in just a tad bit more work, I can obtain a 7. 

The gap between standard level maths and IGCSE maths is huge (as you probably know) and therefore you may struggle to do well if you feel that you are weaker at maths. I personally don't find the jump too difficult but then again I've done IGCSE additional maths - covers majority of the standard level maths.  A lot of the IB2 students in my year group that have only done IGCSE Maths say that it's difficult but with hard work a 7 is attainable. The fact that no-one in your school has gotten a 7 in the subject shouldn't deter you from taking the subject as constant practice in maths is the key to doing well. Don't rely heavily on your teacher, study efficiently and constantly practice past paper questions and you'll do well.

I personally think your better off taking maths standard level to eliminate the chance of facing difficulties getting into the university course of your choice. I'm sure you're a capable student and that you can manage to do v. well in maths.

Good Luck!

• Like 1