HL Maths in one year/ From SL Maths in IB1 to HL Maths in IB2

xaviergoby

Hello all  :bye: ,

I am a student who is in IB2 and who has recently decided to take up HL Maths due to the fact that I believe I made a very wrong decision by taking SL Maths due to the fact that HL Maths is more or less required everywhere in the UK for engineering. The reason for this very bad decision was mainly due to the fact that I was encouraged to get as much points as possible not focus less on requirements for courses. I have now been told by the HL Mathematics teacher that I will have to sit a test on the 13th of October for Complex and Imaginary numbers and I will be able to join the HL class only and only if I attain something above a 4. May I please have some tips? I do feel sad that I have made this decision soo late into my life and it is quite overwhelming however I am trying to keep my mind on track. Aside from studying the content in the book and doing past papers are there any other tips you wonderful mathematicians may advise me :)?

PS: I have my mind up so please do not sway me from my decision for I have had to try and ignore enough of this already :P

Thank you very much guy.

• Like 1

Well, you certainly do have a tough task ahead of you. My school doesn't allow switching from SL to HL Maths under any circumstances, and the difference is indeed big. With that being said, let's see what we've got. How much ahead are the HL kids? October 13th is still far, and if you focus on it, you could definitely manage complex/imaginary numbers, but I'd be more worried about the rest of the syllabus. See, HL asks for lots of routine. Really, a lot. You need to be very fast when solving in order to have enough time for the entire exam. Also, the content digs deeper, asking for the true understanding, and not just giving the easy answer. 

So, while I'm not talking you out of it, be very careful. You said correctly, book, past papers, and then all over again. Might help to get hold of last year's HL tests, if you can get them, just to see how that stuff looks like. Basically, start doing all the topics again from scratch, some parts will already have been covered in SL in your previous year, but make sure you do cover all the differences, and, more importantly, thoroughly understand them. 

Good luck, and if you need any help, feel free to ask me. I'd be glad to lend a hand with any HL stuff we've already covered. :)

Edited by mechnight
  • Like 3

I don't think that you will fail the test itself but I am more concerned about the remaining work that you will have to catch up with (while moving along with the original class). However, you seem confident (?) enough and I personally don't think it is impossible to pull off just get enough practice and understand the work looking at books and possibly some test papers.

Good Luck!  ^_^

Hi guy, 

Im new to the IB survival forum so please don't have a go at me :( , Im in grade 10 IB in UAE (Abu dhabi) and in my school I'm in the Maths standard level, so to get into HL math you have to be in extended level math is there a way to get into extended maths because I really want to study Physics and I need HL math. Last year I got a 7 in science and a 5 in math. Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards

Dominik 

• Like 1

Well I mean I am going to reiterate something very obvious and that is pastpaper, pastpaper, pastpaper! Maybe you could have your parents go into the school to tell them to give you a chance in HL? If they allow you on a conditional offer my advice once again will be pastpaper, pastpaper, pastpaper!

Question bank is GOD in the IB