Time and stress management

Djwelsh98

So... IB.... I'm a junior. I love the program, but am HLing in math, anthropology, literature, and history and SLing in biology and Spanish. I am freaking out though. I work 12-16 hours per week, weekends only. I have so much homework it's ridiculous. I have constant anthro reading plus an observation IA, working on studying for a biochem exam, plus doing all bio assignments and a bio IA. Have constant math assignments that I struggle with. I have constant Spanish readings and worksheets. History reading. Lit reading. The only classe which don't give me homework are weights and my off hour. I also have a zero hour. So I am extremely sleep deprived going to bed between 11 and midnight every night and getting up between 5 and 6 in the morning. HELP

Dropping an HL would be the logical thing. I suggest History or Anthropology as they have a lot of content. Also, tell your teachers they're giving you too much homework. You don't even really need to do homework, it's supposedly just for your extra learning, but if it's annihilating you I find teachers often respond to being told about what other teachers are doing. Each one often thinks it's just them giving you work to do... we got overwhelmed by IAs from all sides at one point, finally told one of the teachers and they were literally like "oh, really, you have other IAs to do as well?" and moved some deadlines around for us.

We couldn't believe how little they must have spoken to each other and how stupid that is. But anyway, 

• Like 2

I would drop down to the conventional 3 HLs instead of 4. Also 12-16 hours is a lot to be working during IB so maybe rethink that. 

Another thing is a lot of the homework that you would be given for IB can be pretty optional, it's there to help you learn the content but you might not need to do all of it to understand it/get a good grasp on the content. The main things would be to focus on for homework would be your IAs.

I'm also a junior IB diploma candidate. Freaking out about CAS hours. Freaking about homework. Freaking about the Essays. I work 20-25 hours a week. I'm starting to volunteer at the hospital for 4 hrs on saturdays and 3 hrs on sundays. Doing a two hr art workshops per week too. So it is possible. This is gonna sound weird but I made pie charts XD for Time Management and taped them on my wall. Get a planner, if you don't already have one. Writing down what you have to do and crossing them out once you finish them, makes me feel like there's more hours in a day and encourages me to be more productive. Say hi to Facetime and texts and groupchats because you absolutely dont have anymore time to hang out with your friends. Actually you do, its those 2 min conversations in between classes

There will be days when you dont get any sleep so warm up to coffee buddy lolol I actually drink this hot chocolate with cinnamon and a pinch of chili powder. It's hard but I'm determined not to drop anything from my original plan. I wanna get most of the things done this year so senior year will be a little bit more relaxing. Just keep looking forward, I guess and hope for winter break then spring then summer XD

P.S. try rewarding yourself every now and then, you know? A bar of expensive chocolate. An afternoon of TV. It helps 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...