kleruh

I'm considering to take ESS, but I don't quite understand what the course is about? What would I be studying and is it more of a bio or chem subject? On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being very easy, and 10 being hard), where would ESS sit? Basically, could anyone please give me an insight as to what the class would be like? 

Thank you!:) 

ESS is a basically environmental science and has aspects of biology and geography. From what I have heard from classmates, it is terribly easy and even more terribly boring. Only do it if you have no interest whatsoever in the sciences. I strongly recommend you avoid ESS as many Unis consider it a soft subject and shows that you don't want to take challenging courses. I urge you to consider Physics SL as apart from being most recognized and respected science, it is also the more interesting by far. All the Best for whatever you choose! :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I am taking ESS now because my school was like crazy in offering this course (they offer it as a group 3,4 & 6 subject leaving you unable to choose chemistry and history at the same time). In this course you basically learn about the environment - you look at how it works, you identify some problems and then you look at some solution. Basically after every chapter I end up with the same conclusion - our environment has lots of problems and I know Im not going to be able to do anything about it. It is indeed very easy, the concepts are like common sense, you just need to memorize some words and such. It is not really going to help you academically but it makes you more aware of the environment.