Badalyan

Hi, I have applied for the Social policy and economics course at LSE this friday. However, my other University choices were either economics or economics and management. My personal statement, though, is weighted a lot towards economics, but DOES have a section on social policy. Predicted 42/45 IB points (HL - 7 in Economics, 7 in English B, 6 in Mathematics and 6 in History, SL - 6 in Physics and 7 in Russian A, TOK - A, EE - A). 
Do I stand a chance of getting an offer from Social Policy and Economics course?

As it's not a common kind of degree to offer I expect most applicants will be applying for other economics based courses and so have PS's themed more around Economics than Social Policy. The admissions department should understand that - if your personal statement is good and you meet the subject/grade requirements there's no reason you shouldn't be considered for an offer. The only thing in your way is competition ;) You can never say one way or the other because you don't know the profiles of everybody else who has applied!

• 2 weeks later...

Also, with respect to humanities, many Universities offer courses which are similar but not quite the same (i.e. one may offer Politics, Philosophy and Economics, whilst another only Politics and Economics or Philosophy and Economics or Philosophy, Social Studies and Economics etc) so all candidates will have the same discrepancies.

Good luck with your application!