Sign in to follow this  

Least gap between SL and HL

Hi,

Which subjects from the below list have the least gap between SL and HL?

1. Business and Management SL and HL
  2. Psychology SL and HL
  3. English Literature SL and HL
  4. Biology SL and HL

I know most people say Biology has a very big gap between SL and HL.   I am going to do above subjects and I rather do my HL where the difficulty (content) is low between SL and HL levels.

Thanking you in advance.

English Lit you have to study more texts, but the difficulty level is basically the same. And you get more lessons in which to study more texts. So I'd say there's a very narrow gap indeed.

I'd agree with Sandwich, the difference between SL and HL English Lit is probably the smallest of those subjects. 

The main thing is that with the other subjects there is extra content that you HAVE to know and memorise, which is more arduous than simply having to study more texts. 

Thank you for the reply.  I am almost decided on English HL  and Biology HL. Need one more HL. What do you think  between

1. Business and Management SL and HL
  2. Psychology SL and HL

With psychology, there isn't much of a difference between HL and SL. Standard level students aren't required to take paper 3 which is on qualitative research methods and they're also only required to do one question from paper 2 (as opposed to two). Unlike with English literature, taking higher psychology means you'll need to memorise more content so If you feel like memorization is your weak point, stick with SL psychology.

General opinion of my group of IB friends: psychology HL is one of the most difficult subjects in the IB DP course itself. Many many many contents to just memorize. Business and Management is kind of more straight-forward and, even if the syllabus is quite large, all of them are much more connected than in psychology IMO.

I would definitely go for Business and Management HL.

I'm not sure if I agree on the gap about SL and HL english, because HL english seems to have a much, much higher expectation of the sort of things you write.

Bio SL and HL have a really big gap; but to be honest, bio HL just have way more content. The level of difficulty doesn't vary that much. (sure cellular respiration is an incredibly complicated chapter, but you have chapters like nucleic acid and protein, which doesn't require anything further than you knowing your stuff)

in general I'd say that humanity HL and SL would have the smallest gap