Is This A Bad Idea?

veregudmen

Hi all

So I've been in the DP for about 2 months, and i've been doing well in most of my subjects (7s in my SLs and 2 HLs, a 6 in math and a 5 in Chem). Now one of my subjects is Economics HL, which is absolutely skull-crushingly boring. I absolutely detest the subject and really regret taking it. 

I've had 3 tests in the subject so far and have got 7s in each but I find the subject extraordinarily boring and really cannot face the prospect of 3.5 more terms of the class. The issue is, the subject is uninteresting, the class is slow and the teacher monotonous. There is nothing at all I like about this subject. I'd found it interesting before starting it but I had no idea what a chore I'd signed up for.

I had wanted to do History HL before school started and was struggling to choose between History and Economics HL but eventually chose Economics because it wasn't taught before while History was and I hadn't taken History earlier so I'd assumed I'd lag behind everyone else who had done it in grades 9 and 10. However, as it turns out it makes no difference since the course is supposed to be the kind which you can take from scratch and do well. 

I'm seriously contemplating switching to History HL at the start of the next term. I detest Economics, I like History and my History teacher (who is ridiculous, by the way; his classes regularly end up with all 7s in the finals each year, and this is not at some uber-academic school with an average point total of 43) says I can do History. 

I would lose 4 of my 6 frees every week though, if I switched to History. 

The only thing bothering me about the decision is whether or not I would have lost too much ground and whether or not losing all but 2 of my 6 frees is worth it. Additionally, I'm on a 7 in Econ with literally zero effort and I'd obviously lose the 7 by switching to History. Currently History has about 2 7s in a class of 30, and the class is mostly full of people who understand the subject and get good grades, so I think I'd be walking into a lot of work. Which is more than fine; if anything I'd like History work the subject is really cool and I really wish I'd taken it from grade 9. 

I'm not particularly attached to or concerned about my grades but it feels strange walking away from a 7. At the same time, it feels strange sticking to this particular subject.

What I essentially want to ask is, is dropping Economics HL for History HL worth the trouble? Or am I best off sticking to Econ, the surefire but soul-crushing 7?

Edited by veregudmen

Whilst I am enjoying IB economics, I felt the exact same way you did throughout the two years of IGCSE economics. I can totally sympathize, just change to history and save your self the mental torture. Seriously, trust me, it is no fun doing something you hate for 2 years regardless of whether it's a easy grade or not. It's the beginning of IB so you may very well not get a 7 in economics at the end of the two years as the difficulty/workload will increase. You'll lack the motivation to get the work done and you'll probably end up not giving a shi*.  You seem really enthusiastic about doing history and that will inevitably drive you do put the effort in to that 6/7 in history. If the history teacher himself said that you'll manage to do well in history, then you'll be fine! Plus, if he's as good as you say then you'll likely get that 7 if you do your part of the job right.  

Just go for it - you'll probably be much happier in the long run!

• Like 1

Probably a bad idea. Now let's read the post.  ^_^

I agree with pink97 - go for what you're interested in! Course work can be a pain even if you like your subjects.  :shifty:

Seeing as you have only been in DP for 2 months, you shouldn't have too much trouble catching up to the others. 

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies pink97 and Sofia Karlsson! 
I actually can't change my subject choices until the start of my next term which is Jan. so I'd have missed a fair bit of History, which is my main worry. 

What I've decided for now is that I'll keep up with the History class and cover that content in my own time, and see how I feel about switching in Jan. 

Thanks so much for your help though :D 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Give it more time as you have just started. Economics is a very important subject as universities give a significant amount of importance to it. you have kust started and i a sorry to break this to you.. It is gonna get tougher.... Don't worry about the marks for now though they are also important. Working hard will eventually make you love the subject and core higher.

Good Luck