History Test

Mathemagician

Hi guys,

So tomorrow I have a History test, and it's basically in an essay format. We're going to be given 3 questions, where we choose 1, and write an essay on it. The unit is WW1: Causes, Practices, and Effects. Our teacher said that the test can be on anything from the WW1 chapter in our book, which is about 75 pages! How can I study for this? I mean, I'm supposing a question per topic, Causes, Practices, and Effects will be on the test, as there are 3. So I will pick one of the 3 to answer (causes, practices, or effects). So do I just study maybe 2 of the 3 topics? That way I can probably hit at least 2 of the 3 questions. Or should I just study 1 in extreme detail, and that way I can hit about 1 of the questions, and write a good essay on it. If I do all 3, then yes, I can hit all 3, but I won't have a lot of knowledge on all 3 (it would be very general, as there are 75 pages to know) so my essay will suffer. What should I do?

BTW, our teacher told us he's probably going to have a question per topic (1 on causes, 1 on practices, and 1 on effects).

Edited by Mathemagician

hmmm I think that maybe you should focus on one topic? cuz like it's better to have a very in-depth essay on one topic than to have a very generalized essay because history essays are meant for you to show off the knowledge you obtain. With focusing on one topic, you can really demonstrate that you have a deep, comprehensive understanding of the topic. good luck on your essay! 

Edited by ShootingStar16

If you're practicing for Paper 2, my teacher recommends writing an in-depth essay with all the trimmings (historiography, challenge the question, etc.) and then two that are passing level. As far as studying for it, you probably should focus on being able to argue what the most important causes, practices, and effects were. A common question is comparing any of those to WWII, but I don't know if your teacher will ask that if you haven't covered it yet.

Thanks guys! Yes, that's what I'm doing right now. I'm studying one topic really in depth (causes), and other than this I have some knowledge about the other two (practices, and effects). So I can probably nail one of the three questions on the test, and if I can't nail any (that probably won't happen, as the test will have one question per topic; hopefully that doesn't happen) I would be able to write a so-so essay on one of the other two topics.