ESL (A)
Eng Lang (B)
Eng Lit (B)
Resistant Materials (A)
History (A*)

Current Subjects:
HL - Chi B, Physics, Chem, Econ*
SL - Maths, Eng Lit A

*everyone got moved to HL in my school since the syllabus and the exam is so similar

1) How much does Maths SL affect my chances of getting into engineering/computer science/physics related course in a decent university (Canada/HK), even if I took Physics and Chem HL?

2) Should I drop one of my HL subjects, so I can spend more time on other subjects? Or should I keep the Chem/Physics to compensate for the Maths SL? (Don't think I can cope with Maths HL)

Background:

IGCSE

Double Science (A*A*)

CIE Maths (A*)

Chi First Lang (A)

ESL (A)

Eng Lang (B)

Eng Lit (B)

Resistant Materials (A)

History (A*)

Current Subjects:

HL - Chi B, Physics, Chem, Econ*

SL - Maths, Eng Lit A

*everyone got moved to HL in my school since the syllabus and the exam is so similar

1) How much does Maths SL affect my chances of getting into engineering/computer science/physics related course in a decent university (Canada/HK), even if I took Physics and Chem HL?

2) Should I drop one of my HL subjects, so I can spend more time on other subjects? Or should I keep the Chem/Physics to compensate for the Maths SL? (Don't think I can cope with Maths HL)

For the UK you're probably out of luck in most places. The UK wants HL math. There are a few exceptions, though. Some places will let you in with SL math if you can get a 7 in it, so google around and see what you can find. For Canada SL math is usually fine.

A warning, though: if you can't cope with HL math (or an equivalent math class) then you probably can't handle engineering. Computer science is essentially applied math, it's not just programming. Engineering uses a TON of math. Physics requires a lot of math to understand it at a high level.

Edited by Emmi
  • Like 1

I would suggest you to drop chemistry HL to SL, and then move math to HL. Even though chemistry is very important in engineering, but it’s not much of a requirement for computer science/physics related course. On the other hand math is vitally important for all the courses that you are aiming at.

Similar to what Emmi has mentioned, math HL is in fact very important for students planning to computer science/engineering/physics course. I took math HL, but sometimes still have a bit of trouble of understanding some computer-science concepts in my first year of university. So watch out! You shouldn’t say that you can’t cope with it, but you should BELIEVE that you can cope with it!

Remember that the purpose of IB education is not just to help students to get admitted good university, but also to get them well-prepared for the university studies that lie ahead of them. So take a bit of courage and take math HL! :D