Is Mathematics HL required to study theoretical physics at the university?

Felipe Doria

My school does not offer Mathematics HL or Physics HL. I am currently taking Economics, English A2 and Spanish A1 HL(English and Spanish HL are compulsory in my school) and Chemistry, Physics and Math SL, but my school has offered me the possibility of studying Physics HL by myself instead of taking the Economics HL IB exam. However, I still don't have the possibility of studying Math HL, and, from what I've heard, Math HL is too hard to study by myself. However, I want to study theoretical physics or possibly even mathematical physics at a good university in the USA, like MIT. Is Math HL a requirement for this? What do you think of studying Physics or Math HL by myself? Keep in mind that there is a good physics and a good math professor in my school, but my school does not offer these courses because not enough students want them. Thank you for your help!

Hm... I study both Maths and Physics on HL and skip about 1/3 of all the lessons due to my problems with health. I do not study at home and do not do any homework on these subjects but still I manage to get sixes and sevens. Maths and Physics HL are not that hard, if you are gifted. There are a plenty of online courses which can help you to learn these subjects yourself. If you want, I can send you Pearson and Haese Maths HL books.

Edited by Yuki Kuran
  • Like 2

My school does not offer Mathematics HL or Physics HL. I am currently taking Economics, English A2 and Spanish A1 HL(English and Spanish HL are compulsory in my school) and Chemistry, Physics and Math SL, but my school has offered me the possibility of studying Physics HL by myself instead of taking the Economics HL IB exam. However, I still don't have the possibility of studying Math HL, and, from what I've heard, Math HL is too hard to study by myself. However, I want to study theoretical physics or possibly even mathematical physics at a good university in the USA, like MIT. Is Math HL a requirement for this? What do you think of studying Physics or Math HL by myself? Keep in mind that there is a good physics and a good math professor in my school, but my school does not offer these coursesbecause not enough students want them. Thank you for your help!

Universities won't hold the fact that you can't take hl physics/math at your school against you as it's out of your control. However, I recommend to self study HL physics and to ask your coordinator about taking hl math online -> http://www.pamojaeducation.com/IB-online-courses/mathematics-hl.asp

It'll definitely be challenging but if you do end up doing well university will certainly be impressed that you took the initiative.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your help. I'll self-study Physics HL then, but I don't think I can do the online Math HL course because the registration deadline has already passed for the May 2016 exams. Moreover, given that Spanish and English HL are compulsory in my school, do you think taking 4 HL subjects would be worth it?

• Like 1

Thank you all for your help. I'll self-study Physics HL then, but I don't think I can do the online Math HL course because the registration deadline has already passed for the May 2016 exams. Moreover, given that Spanish and English HL are compulsory in my school, do you think taking 4 HL subjects would be worth it?

Honestly, doing 4 higher levels is unnecessary but in your case it *might* be worth it if you're planning on self-studying higher level physics as it's really important for your future. Why don't you just drop economics to standard level? If that isn't possible - you'll be fine if you choose to do 4 higher levels as there is very little difference between SL/HL English, Spanish and economics, it won't be much harder than doing the standard combo of 3 HL/SL subjects.

• Like 2

Honestly, doing 4 higher levels is unnecessary but in your case it *might* be worth it if you're planning on self-studying higher level physics as it's really important for your future. Why don't you just drop economics to standard level? If that isn't possible - you'll be fine if you choose to do 4 higher levels as there is very little difference between SL/HL English, Spanish and economics, it won't be much harder than doing the standard combo of 3 HL/SL subjects.

I will drop Economics to SL, but I meant that I would have 4 HL subjects if I took both Math HL and Physics HL, since I would have Spanish, English, Math and Physics HL, and economics and chemistry SL.