Any thoughts about the new Visual Arts curriculum?

oliviabower

I've recently found out that there is a new curriculum for IB Visual Arts, with first examinations taking place in 2016, so this only effects people starting the course this year. The new syllabus can be found here and blog posts explaining the new curriculum can be found here and here. Even though I only started the course in August I was really familiar with old syllabus: the A/B options and the IWB/studio work as the assessed components. So I'm a little caught off guard with this change! What are your thoughts? Do you think this change is for the better or the worse? Any advice on how I should change my approach to the course in order to receive a good score? 

I'm doing option B right now, so seeing that they are getting rid of that for the next class is scary (and a relief for me that I was in the right year!). Why would they get rid of that? I thought that was one of the best parts of the course - it gave people a chance to explore ideas through art even if they weren't wildly talented at the art itself.

I don't know what you should do to do well. You're required to do more than one medium, so I guess prepare for that. 

• 5 months later...

Hi Olivia! How are you?

I am currently taking the new Visual Arts course (final examination 2016). I would love to know how you are going about your course. It's a shame there is barely any reference material for us students to guide us for this course. We could figure something out together hopefully! If you have any questions about the course and how we are going about it please do ask :)

Thanks! 

I happen to think it's for the best. No more scary interviews, endless artwork or workbook pages, etc.

On the downside, we are conquering new territory without a lot of guidance. However, what I find best is to work the rubrics in the syllabus and try to meet all the criteria for EVERY SINGLE ASSIGNMENT. That way, when the big day comes, I'll have my guns loaded. :P