How difficult in Spanish Ab Initio?

Juliana

Hi there!

I'm Juliana, and I'm in MYP Year 5 (aka Grade 10) now, and I am debating about my subject package. I am a native Dutch speaker, I speak Dutch at home and have recently had the Dutch teacher at my school look at my work and he says I would be eligible for Dutch A.

However, this is the first year that I have had Dutch as a lesson, I have studied in English since I was 6, and have 3 years of Spanish.

I would like to know how difficult Spanish Ab Initio is, because I am trying to choose between either:

HL-English A (Language and Literature)

SL-Dutch B

HL-English A (Language and Literature)

SL-Spanish Ab Initio

HL-Dutch A (Language and Literature)

SL-English A

HL-Dutch A (Language and Literature)

SL-Spanish Ab Initio

There's too many choices, and I would appreciate any help that anyone is willing to offer. Does anyone else have a similar situation? If so, what is your choice?

Thank you!

Juliana

This is just my personal opinion:

I would suggest the 3rd option:

HL Dutch A (Lang&lit)

SL English A

This will be a benefit for you as it shows that you are a bilingual person and you will be awarded a Bilingual diploma. This will perhaps be not easy, but as you are a Dutch native speaker, and you also have good English knowledge this would be a good option in my opinion.

But if you think you won't manage HL Dutch: Don't take it.

I unfortunately can't tell you how Spanish ab initio is, as I don't take it.

Good luck!  :blowkiss:

Edited by IBProcrastinator
  • Like 4

If you have studied 3 years of Spanish already, ab initio should be a blast - I'm not even sure that you can take it, as it's supposedly for those with no previous experience of the language. If your schools allows you, it'll be very easy, potentially boring (even though Spanish could never be boring) ^_^

I agree with IBProcrastinator, receiving a bilingual diploma is always an extra bonus! Then if you should take Spanish or English, that's up to you... English will be much more work, but probably more fun as well! 

• 2 weeks later...

i'm taking Spanish ab initio and honestly its really easy as long as you prepare beforehand going into class. that means, learn a bit of Spanish basics over the summer and honestly, its an easy course which by the end you should be able travel in any Spanish speaking country by yourself and understand everything.....

WARNING!! DO NOT TAKE THE EASYNESS OF SPANISH AB INITIO FOR GRANTED THO!! this course is ONLY EASY if you put effort into it.

if you don't, well............  

• Like 1