INTERNAL ASSESSMENT : Suggestions Needed

Perfectionist

Hi there,  :bye:

So soon I'll be starting on my first Internal Assessment in physics. I need some suggestions for an experiment / investigation I'll be completing in regards to: Rubber Bands, or Elastic Bands, whatever you like to call them. If it's possible, suggest something that would be rather easy to out take, with a few variables, you could suggest it in a form of a investigation question.

– Thank You!  :coolg:

You're supposed to identify the relevant dependent and independent variables yourself, that's part of the assessment criteria. ^_^

What usually helps me is thinking about what factors is going to affect whatever you're supposed to investigate - just list everything that comes to mind and find two that relate to each other. Then think of how you can test that relationship :P In this case, elastic bands are (obviously) elastic. Is there something you can do with that? (I always liked shooting elastic bands when I was little. Totally unrelated to your IA, of course)

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, how about something to do with, Investigating the relationship of Hooke's law to elastic bands. For example, adding weights to several trials of elastic bands, to see where the breaking point initiates.  Have you got any ideas or clues as to what may be a fun experiment to do with elastic bands? 

Wouldn't the breaking point be the same for every trial, if you're using the same elastic band? That is, you'll find a number of grams for which the elastic band breaks. That could probably work, but physics IAs are usually more concerned with relationships than numbers - what is the relationship between how far you pull back the elastic band (force) and how far you can shoot it (distance), for example. ^_^

• Like 1

True^ however, since it'll be hard to pull and shoot the elastic band on the force meter, would it be a good idea to measure how far i pull back, while the elastic band is ont he force meter, then discard the force meter and just do it with my hand. Also what are some of the things which would be regarded as the extraneous variables. 

Thank you so much for your assistance!  :)