Science Triple Award

mac117

Hello again ;)

I've searched the whole web to find the info I needed but unfortunately I didn't find anything that would tell me something I didn't know yet.

So, let me begin. This August I stated the IGCSE program and so far it's great. I'm doing science double award and even though we go through topics quickly I maintain an average of over 98%, which made me wonder about the exams. I would really like to do the triple award which my school doesn't offer. It would give me an additional grade which would be helpful in the future. I asked my teacher if I could do it on my own, but he said he didn't know (he is new in our school). So my question is : can I do this on my own? What's the biggest difference between double and triple award? Is it much harder?

I'm sorry if what I wrote is very complicated, I tried my best ;)

Hey!

I also did a double science award for my IGCSEs. I guess you could do the triple one alone; I had a friend that was taking Economics IGCSE even tho it wasn't offered as class in my school. It would be harder cause it's more independent work but if you feel positive that you would do well, then by all means, you should talk seriously to your teacher/head teacher etc. 

Triple Award would be the same as Double Award + greater depth. I found this website that could help you:

http://www.qas.org.uk/academic/curriculum/chemistry/gcse-science-triple-award-curriculum/

Hope I helped :)

At my school everybody did Triple science unless you were a bit rubbish at science and then they entered you for Double (or 'Foundation' level Triple sciences). That was for GCSEs though, I'm not sure how different the iGCSEs are.

Perhaps somebody can shed a bit more light on iGCSE vs GCSE, but if they're similar then I say go for it. I also self-studied a GCSE and it was pretty straight forward. Admittedly it was Latin and not a science, but it's not hard to do an extra subject if you're motivated. The only issue with sciences is making sure you're able to do any coursework they might have for Triple that isn't in the Double course.

• Like 1

I found a website that explains the difference between them: http://www.ool.co.uk/examinations/igcse-and-gcse-whats-the-difference/

Apparently they are equivalent, with only one "difference". "Cambridge IGCSE examinations are tailored for a multi–cultural, multi–lingual audience in a way that UK GCSE examinations are not" - right...

I think I'll go ask my head teacher about it. I'm the only one in my school's history that wants to take triple science, but I hope they will allow me to do it. Thank you both for the positive feedback and information you gave me, it helped me out a lot :)

Hello again ;)

I've searched the whole web to find the info I needed but unfortunately I didn't find anything that would tell me something I didn't know yet.

So, let me begin. This August I stated the IGCSE program and so far it's great. I'm doing science double award and even though we go through topics quickly I maintain an average of over 98%, which made me wonder about the exams. I would really like to do the triple award which my school doesn't offer. It would give me an additional grade which would be helpful in the future. I asked my teacher if I could do it on my own, but he said he didn't know (he is new in our school). So my question is : can I do this on my own? What's the biggest difference between double and triple award? Is it much harder?

I'm sorry if what I wrote is very complicated, I tried my best ;)

By triple science do you mean doing the three sciences separately? If yes, if you're doing CIE IGCSE (the exam board I did) the only difference between triple and double science is that triple goes into more depth. In all honesty, it isn't difficult at all so you should be able to manage. Assuming you're doing CIE - get the biology/physics study guide (endorsed by CIE), chemistry revision guide (endorsed by CIE), they'll help you out a ton! I pretty much self-studied chemistry (crappy teacher) using the revision guide and had no problem getting an A*. It's definitely do-able. If you want to go into the sciences at universities, you're better off doing triple science.

Good Luck :)

Edited by pink97

Actually I'm doing coordinated science and have biology, chemistry and physics (we always have one topic from each, then switch) and they indeed are apprpved by CIE. I might actually do it with my friend together; I was already looking for some study guides but those you mentioned I didn't look at yet. Now I only have to wait for their allowance...

Edited by mac117