I am doing first IA for biology hl. The topic is investigating factors affecting the rooting of stem cuttings. I chose Fragipani for stem cutting and my factor is whether the cutting is placed in water or compost. I don't know how to start and what to write such as variables, research question and hypothesis. Could you please help my first IA? thank you so much!

Edited by Misoooooooooongyang

Hey! 

I haven't done a lab like that in bio, so I can't help with the RQ and stuff. But for the variables - your independent would be the different placing (water or compost), dependent is what you are trying to measure, and for controlled you pretty much write everything (temperature of water/compost, room temperature, mass of the stem cuttings, length of the stem or things like that, time/day intervals after you measure your dependent etc).

For your dependent what exactly are you measuring?? Your RQ should be sth like "how does [independent] affect [dependent]?"