Sign in to follow this  

I am doing first IA for biology hl. The topic is investigating factors affecting the rooting of stem cuttings. I chose Fragipani for stem cutting and my factor is whether the cutting is placed in water or compost. I don't know how to start and what to write such as variables, research question and hypothesis. Could you please help my first IA? thank you so much!

Edited by Misoooooooooongyang

Guest Sonia

Hey! 

I haven't done a lab like that in bio, so I can't help with the RQ and stuff. But for the variables - your independent would be the different placing (water or compost), dependent is what you are trying to measure, and for controlled you pretty much write everything (temperature of water/compost, room temperature, mass of the stem cuttings, length of the stem or things like that, time/day intervals after you measure your dependent etc).

For your dependent what exactly are you measuring?? Your RQ should be sth like "how does [independent] affect [dependent]?"

I suggest doing it something related to the concentration of a particular chemical; you need at least 5 dependent variable and I'm not sure if categorical variable is the best approach.

inbox me, I'm more than happy to explain it in detail :)

• Like 3