TOK Presentation Topic - Beauty Standards

theasiantomato

Hey all! I was wondering if my TOK presentation topic sounds ok.

I'm in a group of three and our question is:

"How are different definitions of beauty formed, and what are the ethical implications of these definitions?" 

We plan to look primarily at language as a way of knowing, in terms of imagery, media, etc. 

For areas of knowledge, we want to look at multiple. For example, natural science in terms of what's healthy for your body, mathematics in facial symmetry and body measurements, human sciences with psychological disorders, indigenous knowledge systems with different cultural ideals of beauty, and history with changing beauty standards over the course of time. 

Hey all! I was wondering if my TOK presentation topic sounds ok.

I'm in a group of three and our question is:

"How are different definitions of beauty formed, and what are the ethical implications of these definitions?" 

We plan to look primarily at language as a way of knowing, in terms of imagery, media, etc. 

For areas of knowledge, we want to look at multiple. For example, natural science in terms of what's healthy for your body, mathematics in facial symmetry and body measurements, human sciences with psychological disorders, indigenous knowledge systems with different cultural ideals of beauty, and history with changing beauty standards over the course of time. 

In my opinion it is fine, I mean it's not the most original topic ever, but good enough to reach an A. If you want a suggestion, you might want to focus better in two or three areas rather than five or six, because if not it will be harder to find a real life situation, which applies to all those areas.

Nonetheless, everything is possible so it depends on you and how much you develop the idea.

I hope I had helped you.

--------------------------------------------

By the way, talking about doubts, if anyone want to see my new thread: http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/31335-give-your-opinion-about-the-ib-now-you-will-have-a-chance-to-vent/

Yes it's a good topic! It allows you to look at it from many WoK. I did the same for my practice presentation!!! like exactly the same...! :P we looked at media, barbies XD, the golden ratio, psychology, biology of attraction etc. Message me if you want any input :D