Can I write in psychology if I don't take the subject

Lea Fz

I really wouldn't recommend it, unless you're sure you know how to write it correctly... In my school they really discouraged us from writing on a subject we don't take. So yeah... I would say no... But I guess if you've taken psych before or feel confident then give it try?

I haven't done it, but I would definitely recommend not doing it. Writing an EE in a subject you don't take is always dangerous, and especially so for psychology. From what I've heard, IB psychology is not similar to any A-level psychology you might have taken. So, if you want a good grade - please don't. (Of course, it's possible to do well, just not very probable)

For EE you cannot write about a subject that you dont do, because you would have to research and learn all of it. EE is supposed to extend on your knowledge of one of the subjects you take. :)

Guys, I don't take psychology but I'm considering writing my EE on it.

Have any of you guys done this?

Would you recommend it ?

Thank you, in advance x 

It is definitely possible but if you are not taking the subject, then it can be obvious that you lack the knowledge in the subject (not that you don't know the context, you might not know the proper terminology, etc.). If you are confident that you can put in the effort and time (even more than a normal one) go for it but I wouldn't recommend it nor would any of my teachers. 

• Like 1

No, I wouldn't recommend it. Academic psychology is not what you think it is. It is loads of scientific terminology, research studies and complicated break down of the biological, cognitive and social aspects of behavior which needs through understanding, teaching and time. Instead I advice you to write your EE in one of your HL subjects.

Edited by Knight