Citations? Really confused.

Talalwarsi5897

Hey, so reading some threads on this site, unfortunately, has confused me a bit more than before.

Some websites and/or journals i have obtained information from have no date of publishing, not even the names of the authors, just a title. So how am i to go about citing that in MLA?

I use easybib.com to create my citations, and quite of a few of the places i've taken info from cannot be found on this or any other citation creating site. No idea what to do now and how to go about it.

Also about footnotes. Are they supposed to be the exact same thing you put in the bibliography, or?

One last thing. Supposing I use information from a source but don't directly refer to this source in the body of my essay. I still have to acknowledge it in my bibliography, right?

Sorry, I'm just in mental turmoil right now, and this is pretty much the only thing impeding my essay completion. 

Also, if you have any thoughts or tips about citations, footnotes, etc, I would really appreciate it, since for some reason I'm finding this a lot more troublesome than i thought.

Thank you all so much.

Regards.

Edited by Talalwarsi5897

I use easybib too:

I use easybib.com to create my citations, and quite of a few of the places i've taken info from cannot be found on this or any other citation creating site. No idea what to do now and how to go about it.

When creating an MLA citation use as much of the provided information as possible. If for example date of publishing is not available just ignore it, there is just no information about it. But easybib sometimes misses information that is actually available. So always double check the source. 

I can't help with the footnotes part as I'm not very experienced there.

One last thing. Supposing I use information from a source but don't directly refer to this source in the body of my essay. I still have to acknowledge it in my bibliography, right?

I would still include it in the bibliography. Just to make sure. 

Edited by IBProcrastinator

- I think that if some info like date published or author are not given then you can cite it normally with the info that you do have

- Footnotes are more specific than bibliography. The layout of the citation is different, you can find how to do each type depending on the format you choose. But well, footnotes include page number etc, because it is something more specific that u used in your essay

- If you don't refer to a source directly but used it as research, gain more knowledge etc, then you should include it in the bibliography. That's where you should include all sources that are a bit more 'general' so to speak.

I use easybib too:

When creating an MLA citation use as much of the provided information as possible. If for example date of publishing is not available just ignore it, there is just no information about it. But easybib sometimes misses information that is actually available. So always double check the source. 

I can't help with the footnotes part as I'm not very experienced there.

I would still include it in the bibliography. Just to make sure. 

- I think that if some info like date published or author are not given then you can cite it normally with the info that you do have

- Footnotes are more specific than bibliography. The layout of the citation is different, you can find how to do each type depending on the format you choose. But well, footnotes include page number etc, because it is something more specific that u used in your essay

- If you don't refer to a source directly but used it as research, gain more knowledge etc, then you should include it in the bibliography. That's where you should include all sources that are a bit more 'general' so to speak.

Great. Thank you both very much. This has really confused the hell out of me and now it seems to be a lot clearer.

Cheers!

• Like 1