I have a question about my EE

Nizam

I was reading the Wikipedia page about Extended essay and there is a part which caught my eye it is recommended that it be taken from the field of one of the IB subjects being studied (e.g. the essay may be about a book that has not been studied as part of IB English)." I'm thinking of writing it in the subject of English (English B HL to be exact) and I'm considering it to be about a novel. The question is what does " a book that has not been studied as part of IB English" mean? Does it mean these studied books are the books I read as a part of my IB English B HL? Am I not be able to write a extended essay about the books I read? ( We as the whole class did some practice for creative writing and interactive oral activity about these books though)

Edited by Nizam

You can write your EE on any book you choose (and as long as your supervisor approves) -- the instructions do not say you *cannot* write on those you are currently studying for your course: it just says you *may* (if you so wish) use those not on any IB English list or being studied as part of the IB programme.

So everything is fair game.

They are giving you a big, wide open field!

• Like 3

You can write your EE on any book you choose (and as long as your supervisor approves) -- the instructions do not say you *cannot* write on those you are currently studying for your course: it just says you *may* (if you so wish) use those not on any IB English list or being studied as part of the IB programme.

So everything is fair game.

They are giving you a big, wide open field!

Thank you for your help :)

It's worth noting that if you choose a book that has already been done in class, you are expected to show a deeper/different understanding, i.e. that you've done significantly more research than it was in class. Because of that it might be easier to choose an entirely new book, but as Blackcurrant mentioned, nothing is off limits, as long as your supervisor approves of it. :)

Edited by mechnight
  • Like 2