Doubts about my TOK Presentation

DannyRodeck

Hello everyone! So the knowledge question I've got is: To what extent can behavior and emotions be affected by different heard music genres? (This is a translation I made from Spanish (I will present it in this language):"¿En qué medida pueden ser las emociones y comportamientos afectados por los diferentes géneros de música escuchados?"))

I am not sure if my question is adequate, also, I am a bit confused about what a good real life situation is. I've read that more personal RLS are more outstanding, but I don't know how to set it. My idea formy RLS is to tell how to me, hearing Pop or Jazz is much more pleasuring and mood boosting for me than other genres like rock or rap, and I would make a further exploration on generalities in chord progressions and lyrics for each genre taken. The point of the presentation is to expose how can the music each person listens to, affect the way they know the world. Focusing on ways of knowing such as language and emotion. I'm not sure on which Areas of Knowledge should I focus. I really like my topic because I've got a passion for music, but I need a bit of orientation and my TOK teacher left my school because of personal problems and now we have a newby teacher that is pretty lost, so please HELP!!

(and thanks in advance!)

Edited by DannyRodeck

That sounds like a good question :) You could talk about how listening to different genres of music at a given moment can change your attitude in that moment if that makes sense (Psychology) :P Or talk about the science of music - how it affects your brain physically  (Natural sciences perspective). The good thing is that this topic can be linked to many AoK and WoK. You could link it to Art as well - the intention of the artists (singers/producers) to affect their audience or pass certain messages. For WoK you could talk about Emotion as you've already done, Language (used in music genres - how blatant language in rap for example affects emotion), or even Memory (in the sense that one song you used to listen to at a certain time evokes certain feelings that you felt back then if you listen to it in the present  or  how we link different genres to different events - electro music is more linked to parties etc). And then you can link all these back to how music affects our feelings overall. I hope I helped a bit, sorry that it's pretty complicated :P

That sounds like a good question :) You could talk about how listening to different genres of music at a given moment can change your attitude in that moment if that makes sense (Psychology) :P Or talk about the science of music - how it affects your brain physically  (Natural sciences perspective). The good thing is that this topic can be linked to many AoK and WoK. You could link it to Art as well - the intention of the artists (singers/producers) to affect their audience or pass certain messages. For WoK you could talk about Emotion as you've already done, Language (used in music genres - how blatant language in rap for example affects emotion), or even Memory (in the sense that one song you used to listen to at a certain time evokes certain feelings that you felt back then if you listen to it in the present  or  how we link different genres to different events - electro music is more linked to parties etc). And then you can link all these back to how music affects our feelings overall. I hope I helped a bit, sorry that it's pretty complicated :P

Wow! That will definitely help me tons, thanks a lot!! Just one more doubt; what would be my Real Life Situation? I have to fill a format and one of the points is "Describe the real life situation", but I'm having trouble in defining my RLS, how should I present it? D; 

Do you have something in mind already? Maybe a research done on that topic that you could talk about? Or maybe a video/article of people reacting to a certain type of music? I'm just guessing, but I'm sure there are loads of things done about that topic :)

Wow! That will definitely help me tons, thanks a lot!! Just one more doubt; what would be my Real Life Situation? I have to fill a format and one of the points is "Describe the real life situation", but I'm having trouble in defining my RLS, how should I present it? D; 

I suggest that maybe you look at the cultural section of a newspaper and find an article or something. Maybe you could look at concerts from different genres and explore the different behaviours these people show in these events? And if you need any help, dont hesitate to send me a personal message and i'll be glad to help!