How can I stop worrying about my marks so much?

ShootingStar16

So I always stress about marks and whenever I hand something in, I always assume the worst case scenario. I can't help it because I really want to aim for highest academic average this year and I am trying to work towards that goal by studying more and getting help when I need to. I freak out when I mess up on one quiz and automatically think my life is over. What can I do to help reduce the stress? 

You can reduce the stress in one of two ways:

1. By realizing that when you do hand in the work, you've (hopefully) given it your best shot, and the score you get isn't necessarily a total reflection on you as a whole. Sure, you might mess up on a quiz here and there, but does that mean you're a failure or dumb? Not at all. No one's perfect and everyone's going to have a bad day here and there or lose a few points on something silly. If you're doing well overall, one bad quiz here and there isn't going to hurt you. You don't have to strive to be perfect, but you should be striving to hand in quality work that you're proud of, and whether that grade comes back as a 99% or a 88% shouldn't matter too much (unless you need a specific grade in a class, in which case please try to get at least that).

2. By going to uni and taking hard classes where when you get a 67% on a test you actually did better than most people in the class so you feel great.

• Like 1

1) Realize that after you hand in the work, you can't change anything. Therefore, worrying at this point is useless. Simply do your best before you hand it in and see how it works.

2) Remember that relaxation is a must for better results. Make it a rule to reward yourself after each big or difficult project. Go for a walk or meet friends. Then you won't have time to worry

• Like 1

I had and still have this problem to some extent.

The best approach would be do have a good impression on your subject teacher, participate in classroom discussions and spend your time in co/extra curricular activities. This would keep your mind at ease and convince it that even if you screw up in a couple  of class tests, your record won't be affected much.

Edited by Knight
  • Like 1