Maths IA, how to combine biology with maths?

AndovarEdoras

So i'm looking for ideas for the IA, but i'm just so stuck. I have already thought about like 3 different topics but i found that all of them were too simple for even SL (e.g. tesselation).

I know that i love biology, especially microbiology, so i would like to do an IA which has some sort of maths relating to biology..

However, the problem is....what kind of math could i even use for biology? I don't think i know any topic in biology which would contain maths that is at least SL level..

TL;DR : Any IA topic ideas which are about biology, please? (also, what kind of math would it involve).

Doesn't matter if the mathematical process is extremely difficult, as long as i at least find something.

you can do something with the rate at which cells/bacteria/etc multiply, which I think is population growth so it would involve natural logarithms and exponential curves at least.

Hmm that might be interesting, considering I did my EE about mold growth and actually mentioned a population growth curve in the introduction...  Thanks for the idea :)

• 1 year later...

you can do something with the rate at which cells/bacteria/etc multiply, which I think is population growth so it would involve natural logarithms and exponential curves at least.

Hmm that might be interesting, considering I did my EE about mold growth and actually mentioned a population growth curve in the introduction...  Thanks for the idea :)

AndovarEndoras, I'm interested in the rate of mole growth for my Math IA topic. Do you have any resources that I could use that involves math,; I can not find ANY. I was thinking of using calculus, but I don't know how to calculate it, you know?