Sign in to follow this  

Extended essay topic ! Does it have to be unique ?

so I  am probably doing something about biology for my extended essay and I came up with a nice research question ( I think it is really  nice.....) .

However , when I started researching online , I found that someone had already carried out investigation and experiment about my research question . Will that affect my grade if the way I present my research question is similar to the researches that already existed ?

My research question is about the effect of a specific food on a specific function in the human body .

Guest moonkyu97

I don't think that the research question has to be completely unique; they don't expect you to come up with a novel idea that has never been explored. However, it would be better if the topic is less common. Multiple essays on the same topic is less favored by the IB, I think. If the content shows that you investigated on the subject by yourself, it probably is fine.

This is what it says on the guide on academic honesty:

"The student is ultimately responsible for ensuring that his or her extended essay is authentic, with the work or ideas of others fully and correctly acknowledged. Additionally, it is the responsibility of a supervisor to confirm that, for each student he or she has supervised, to the best of his or her knowledge, the version of the extended essay submitted for assessment is the authentic work of the student.

Both plagiarism and collusion are forms of malpractice that incur a penalty. The same piece of work, or two versions of the same work, cannot be submitted to meet the requirements of both the extended essay and another assessment component of a subject contributing to the diploma or an additional certificate"

Also, specifically to bio, it says:

"Students should point out early in the essay how the research question was arrived at and, if appropriate, how it was narrowed down, by briefly outlining related aspects that are not being considered in the essay"

So if you show that the work is authentic and cite all your sources, you wouldn't be penalized. I think.

• Like 1

Can you change just a small factor, like which food is used? That would be enough to make it authentic. Also I recommend you avoid reading any essays where you can see the title is similar to yours - at least until you've got a very good idea of how you want yours to go. After reading somebody else's, it becomes very hard NOT to use things you see & like about their EE. It's all a bit sub-conscious, but if you get yours hashed out first and then read the other ones, you'll not get distracted by what they've done and the bulk of yours will be 100% your own.

• Like 1

so I  am probably doing something about biology for my extended essay and I came up with a nice research question ( I think it is really  nice.....) .

However , when I started researching online , I found that someone had already carried out investigation and experiment about my research question . Will that affect my grade if the way I present my research question is similar to the researches that already existed ?

My research question is about the effect of a specific food on a specific function in the human body .

Hi! 

While you certainly can't be faulted for having a good idea and then noticing that someone else has done it, it's still good sense to differentiate your essay in some way and try to ensure that you've got all your bases covered in terms of wrongful accusations of plagiarism. 

Obviously the most obvious thing is the title of your essay. There are loads of ways to phrase the same thing, so work your magic here. 

As others have mentioned, it's a good idea to state how you came about your research qn, which variations you eliminated, the process of refining your qn, etc. These should all have some sort of logical flow so that if your authenticity is in question, they can look to this for reassurance. 

Work through your draft with your supervisor. Don't suddenly present a complete draft, but show the development of it. 

Change some variables (the more specific your counterpart's variables are, the worse it is if you guys have the same variables). For example, if you're both observing the effects of mixing different animal feed into soil on the growth of a venus flytrap plant (clearly this isn't a well thought out experiment), make sure you at least choose different animals' feed (certainly not the same brands) and perhaps a different plant. 

While your question doesn't have to be unique, your content has to be at least somewhat different. It can be quite hard when there are thousands of Bio EEs, so I'm sure they give some sort of leeway for overlaps, but you've gotta do your best to differentiate your work. 

• Like 1

Hi! 

While you certainly can't be faulted for having a good idea and then noticing that someone else has done it, it's still good sense to differentiate your essay in some way and try to ensure that you've got all your bases covered in terms of wrongful accusations of plagiarism. 

Obviously the most obvious thing is the title of your essay. There are loads of ways to phrase the same thing, so work your magic here. 

As others have mentioned, it's a good idea to state how you came about your research qn, which variations you eliminated, the process of refining your qn, etc. These should all have some sort of logical flow so that if your authenticity is in question, they can look to this for reassurance. 

Work through your draft with your supervisor. Don't suddenly present a complete draft, but show the development of it. 

Change some variables (the more specific your counterpart's variables are, the worse it is if you guys have the same variables). For example, if you're both observing the effects of mixing different animal feed into soil on the growth of a venus flytrap plant (clearly this isn't a well thought out experiment), make sure you at least choose different animals' feed (certainly not the same brands) and perhaps a different plant. 

While your question doesn't have to be unique, your content has to be at least somewhat different. It can be quite hard when there are thousands of Bio EEs, so I'm sure they give some sort of leeway for overlaps, but you've gotta do your best to differentiate your work. 

OMG that is really really helpful . thank you soo much !!!!!