Sign in to follow this  

Music EE: How national anthems reflect the nation's history

Hello everyone.
This is the first time I've posted on this website, but I am in need of help on my extended essay. I've chosen the subject of music and I would like my research question to be along the lines of "To what extent does the national anthem of the People's Republic of China reflect the nation’s history and patriotism?" I am not taking music theory but I am in orchestra at my school. Do you guys think this topic is broad enough to talk about for 4000 words? I also do not know what information I should omit to avoid making this a history paper. I would like to talk about China's war with Japan, which inspired their national anthem, but how much is too much? And where should I talk about this? Any other tips and information on how to write a music paper is very much appreciated, because my adviser is unfortunately also new to this. Thank you.