What's happening to my grades?!

J3r1n0

Hi guys I'm a student from Hong Kong. I have completed the MYP with exceptional results and now I realised there is a massive drop in my grades. I understand that there will be a drop of marks in the subjects I am not passionate about, but even subjects I care about are starting to drop. Recently I got a 3 in a subject I'm used to getting 6s and 7s in. What's going on? Am I the only one experiencing this?

Hi guys I'm a student from Hong Kong. I have completed the MYP with exceptional results and now I realised there is a massive drop in my grades. I understand that there will be a drop of marks in the subjects I am not passionate about, but even subjects I care about are starting to drop. Recently I got a 3 in a subject I'm used to getting 6s and 7s in. What's going on? Am I the only one experiencing this?

It seems to me that you are paying too much attention on grades and not on the learning itself. Of course, these 2 things are closely related to each other. I mean grades are supposed to reflect your learning. However, if you fix your belief and think that grades are not really important, but learning is, then you’ll see that learning becomes much more fun and your grades will automatically gradually improve over time.

Forget everything you did in the past in MYP. It doesn’t matter how smart you are and it doesn’t matter how exceptional your grades were, all that really matter when it comes to the academic world (like IB) are your attitudes, your passions, and your patience.

Thus, in my opinion, the only way to improve your grades is to fix your attitudes towards grades & learning, and to focus 100% on your actual learning. it’s also time for you to use the best of your organizing skills and your study-techniques. Good luck!

• Like 5

Hey!

Don't worry. Make sure you don't lose hope.

Trust me, this happens to everybody.

Once your grades start to drop we panic, feel lonely and depressed.

We become desperate for some help!

As I said before, Don't worry.

Just keep doing what you have been doing, that is studying and if possible get more help from your teachers.

extra effort wil do the Magic

Stressing over it will worsen the situation

Best of luck!

P.S.Make sure you are sleeping and eating properly

• Like 1

I know exactly what you're going through, I'm on the same boat as you. You have to keep at it, keep working. Set goals, and keep striving for them. Its better to have negative results in the beginning rather than in the end, thats what everyone tells me. Just keep at it, we all, fellow IBers believe in you. 

• Like 2

Hi!

Firstly, the difference between programs like MYP, GCSE, IGCSE, etc and IB is that in IB, your answers are held to a much higher standard. This means that you have to not only ensure that the content of your answer is significant (fluff tends to gain very little marks), and that you answer the requirements of the question

For example, a standard 15 mark question on an Economics paper could be something like.. Compare the market structures of monopoly and monopolistic competition. While you could go into an extended response detailing exactly why monopolies are horrible, and while it can be an excellent piece of writing, you will get at most 6 marks. This is because you are not answering the question. This is a very obvious example, but you can see this happening in much more subtle ways in other subjects (especially english or history) where you don't quite give them answer they're looking for. 

Next, find out what you're dropping marks in. Are you not doing well in take-home assignments? Class tests? Are you getting a bad grade for not participating in discussions? Talk to your teachers and figure out what you can do about it. 

Finally, don't be disheartened by bad grades. Many people struggle a bit with the change from MYP to IB. What worked before doesn't work anymore. This is okay, but you must not think you're incapable. It's a trap that many fall into: "I have gotten bad grades, this must mean I'm stupid, so I might as well not work hard anyway". Recognise that this is nothing but a symptom of taking the IB, pull yourself up and work hard. There is no replacement for smart, targeted effort. 

• Like 2

There is also a tendency in middle grades for over-grading. Why? Teachers for some odd reason have learnt to think that your self-esteem and will to live is just soooo fragile that you need no end of " encouragement" tons of it, lashings of it  ... so even fluff does quite well sometimes. 

When you find out the truth, later, it has (ironically) quite the opposite effect. And one's self-esteem plummets.

As Vioh pointed out, rather than focusing on your grades just focus now on learning as well as possible, and enjoy it for what it is:  you'll never confuse self-worth with schooling again. :) Schooling and education are two different things. Maybe you're now into a good thing. ...

• Like 2

About grades. I only recently felt the urge to check my final school report to see what grades I graduated with. I honestly had no idea and it didn't affect me one bit. E.g. in Psychology I had 4/6 (Polish grades are out of 6) and my IB score was 7 at HL. That's how much grades matter. 

• Like 4

The level in every subject in IB is different. MYP is easy. IB is hard. The scoring standard is risen up rapidly. It's so much harder to get a 6 in IB whereas we don't even have to study much to get it in MYP. I took Chinese Language Lan & Lit in MYP and I find Chinese Language Lan & lit hard. Now I'm planning to take Language Acquisition instead.