How to score better in Maths HL

Ashmitha_Arun

How not to hate Math HL!?

Well, people usually hate the thing they are not good at. So if you try harder, maybe you’ll love it someday ;)

I keep forgeting concepts and sometimes I never understand them. :hang:

I need help. I need to score better. :question:

I strongly believe that the ability to do math HL has nothing to do with intelligence whatsoever! So the important thing is that you don’t lose hope. Keep working, reading, and practicing all the time and you’ll be fine in the end!

Now, I see that your problem is that you keep forgetting concepts. Well, the reason that you forget concepts is because you don’t really understand them. So I would suggest you to spend time reading your IB math textbook from the very chapter that you have been stuck with (in fact, it might be good to start reading from the very beginning). Just like the fact that ‘a house can’t stand without its base’, you can’t move on with math HL without having a good strong basic knowledge in math. So reading from the beginning might be just the thing you need.

When you read, remember to take very careful notes. This is very important because it gives you an opportunity to easily review what you have been done, and to look back at concepts that you may forget in the future. Another advantage of note taking is that people usually have different ways of thinking; so by taking your own notes, it’s so much easier to read them again in the future. Furthermore, taking notes can help you to fix holes in your understanding because it forces you to go deep down into another level of understanding. You know what, I certainly think that note taking is best skill that I’ve developed during my time in the IB.

Also, don’t forget to read the proofs and derivations that are presented in the textbook! For example, I’ve seen a few people trying to skip the derivations of the trigonometric compound-angle identities, and only remembered the formula instead. This is a really bad way of learning because it’s impossible to gain understanding just by remembering the formulae!

Another tip is to get a super-good textbook. I tend to think of all my textbooks as my second teachers alongside with my real ones :P There are lots of discussion here on IBsurvival about which books to use, so read about it :)

Finally, the last thing you need to remember is to never move on with a new concept unless you have mastered all the previous ones. In fact, mathematics is built in such a way that one concept supporting the next. For example, you can’t understand complex numbers without first understanding trigonometry. Likewise, calculus must be done after you’ve fully mastered the concepts of functions and complex numbers. “Fully mastered” here means that you have completely understood the concepts, and have done enough practice on them!

So good luck! And cheers :)

• Like 2

How not to hate Math HL!?

Well, people usually hate the thing they are not good at. So if you try harder, maybe you’ll love it someday ;)

I keep forgeting concepts and sometimes I never understand them. :hang:

I need help. I need to score better. :question:

I strongly believe that the ability to do math HL has nothing to do with intelligence whatsoever! So the important thing is that you don’t lose hope. Keep working, reading, and practicing all the time and you’ll be fine in the end!

Now, I see that your problem is that you keep forgetting concepts. Well, the reason that you forget concepts is because you don’t really understand them. So I would suggest you to spend time reading your IB math textbook from the very chapter that you have been stuck with (in fact, it might be good to start reading from the very beginning). Just like the fact that ‘a house can’t stand without its base’, you can’t move on with math HL without having a good strong basic knowledge in math. So reading from the beginning might be just the thing you need.

When you read, remember to take very careful notes. This is very important because it gives you an opportunity to easily review what you have been done, and to look back at concepts that you may forget in the future. Another advantage of note taking is that people usually have different ways of thinking; so by taking your own notes, it’s so much easier to read them again in the future. Furthermore, taking notes can help you to fix holes in your understanding because it forces you to go deep down into another level of understanding. You know what, I certainly think that note taking is best skill that I’ve developed during my time in the IB.

Also, don’t forget to read the proofs and derivations that are presented in the textbook! For example, I’ve seen a few people trying to skip the derivations of the trigonometric compound-angle identities, and only remembered the formula instead. This is a really bad way of learning because it’s impossible to gain understanding just by remembering the formulae!

Another tip is to get a super-good textbook. I tend to think of all my textbooks as my second teachers alongside with my real ones :P There are lots of discussion here on IBsurvival about which books to use, so read about it :)

Finally, the last thing you need to remember is to never move on with a new concept unless you have mastered all the previous ones. In fact, mathematics is built in such a way that one concept supporting the next. For example, you can’t understand complex numbers without first understanding trigonometry. Likewise, calculus must be done after you’ve fully mastered the concepts of functions and complex numbers. “Fully mastered†here means that you have completely understood the concepts, and have done enough practice on them!

So good luck! And cheers :)

Thank u so much! :):blowkiss:

I'll help you Ashmi!! 

don't worry!!!   :dj:

Thank u subha! <3