IB choices help- Physics HL

Romula

Hi everyone.

I'm in Y11 and I'm being asked to make my IB choices for next year. The Highers I want to do are Maths, Physics and History.

I haven't done my GCSEs yet (or even my mocks- my school is quite full-on about choices) but I took Maths IGCSE last year and got an A* (93%), and I'm doing FSMQ Add. Maths this year (predicted A), and am predicted A* for Physics IGCSE.

So my question is, do you think I would be able to do Higher Maths and Physics with these qualifications? Which are the harder topics in the Physics HL course, and which are more theory/practical heavy? What kind of practicals do you do?

I would be really grateful if you could tell me about this- I'm fairly sure of my choices (my Standards are English Lit, Spanish B and Economics), but given the reputation of Maths and Physics HL I just want to get as much information as possible about what I'm getting into.

Thanks so much!

Rx

Edited by Romula

Hi everyone.

I'm in Y11 and I'm being asked to make my IB choices for next year. The Highers I want to do are Maths, Physics and History.

I haven't done my GCSEs yet (or even my mocks- my school is quite full-on about choices) but I took Maths IGCSE last year and got an A* (93%), and I'm doing FSMQ Add. Maths this year (predicted A), and am predicted A* for Physics IGCSE.

So my question is, do you think I would be able to do Higher Maths and Physics with these qualifications? Which are the harder topics in the Physics HL course, and which are more theory/practical heavy? What kind of practicals do you do?

I would be really grateful if you could tell me about this- I'm fairly sure of my choices (my Standards are English Lit, Spanish B and Economics), but given the reputation of Maths and Physics HL I just want to get as much information as possible about what I'm getting into.

Thanks so much!

Rx

I personally think that there are no qualifications whatsoever to do well in Math or Physics HL. All you need are passions and a determination to do well on these 2 courses. In other words, it's all about your attitudes right from the beginning when you start IB.

Forget everything you have learnt from before; forget all about you good grades in IGCSE. They are all worthless as long as IB is concerned. This is because in IB, you'll be able to learn everything from beginning. Yes, I'm sure IB will be so much harder than IGCSE, but HL maths and physics are definitely doable. And if you put lots of focus on it, there's nothing to worry about!

I had an A in physics in my secondary education. However, i wasn't proud of it at all, because i knew that I was just an absolute beginner in physics before i stepped into IB. So I decided to work hard, and now, physics HL has probably become my best subject. So what I'm saying here is that from my own experience, I think all you need is will and determination to do well.

So pick the courses and nail them !!! ;)

• Like 1

I chose math physics history HL, and I don't know if you are interested, but a tip for His HL-read read and read. For math-exercise exercise and exercise. For physics-make sure you understand all the concepts from the beginning so it will be much easier to understand the ones later on. 

I also agree with Vioh, just forget about what you did before, it might as well help you concentrate on the new course so you don't omit anything - e.g. I studied mechanics before so I didn't pay much attention during class so I missed a few things that kind of messed up my tests. But don't worry! I'm sure you will be able to make it :gluck:

Btw, my final advice: procrastinate well - e.g. surf around ibsurvival, watch things that will help you with the course, read around the subject etc.

and my final final final advice (probably for life as well): Prioritise sleep!

Edited by sushichan*-*