Favorite teacher? Worst teacher?

sushichan*-*

I always complain about teachers. My school is new to IB so lots of the teacher don't have experience in teaching IB. Their instructions seem very vague to me but at the same time I am sure that they are having a hard time teaching this course as well. So I was just wondering how are the teachers at your school?

• Like 1

In my school teachers are pretty good at the IB things. But I have gotten some vague info about ToK and CAS which annoyed me a lot... :/ But I am pretty pleased with the teachers of my actual subjects, so that's nice :)

The teachers are pretty good, much better than the ones in my old school, at least! My TOK, English, psychology, economics and Spanish teachers are awesome! My biology teacher on the other hand is crap to say the least - definitely going to need to self study to do well. Thankfully, biology is a subject you can self teach as it's mainly rote memorization so it shouldn't be too bad. My math is teacher is okay, not the best but there are way worse ones out there so it's okay.

I can totally get where you're coming from regarding inexperienced teachers. Whilst my school has been doing IB for 15 years or so, my biology teacher has never taught IB biology. He's always all over the place and teaches us non-IB biology (AP) stuff which is totally irrelevant. How annoying! Can't believe he's going to be doing our IA's with us, I hope he doesn't misguide us as I really need to do well in biology so I can get college credit. The best we can do is look for online resources and utilize them as much as possible.

• Like 1

Sometimes I feel like my subjects are self taught because the teachers just talk at us all lesson and don't actually teach much... not all the time, my English Lit HL teacher is good, as well as TOK and Film HL, but for Biology SL and History SL I have to do my own notes at home! 

It's not a big deal but would be helpful if they would go through the syllabus :P

I go to a Memphis City School, so basically all of the teachers except the IB and AP ones are mostly idiots. I took Newspaper (a standard class) my sophomore year and it was the worst teacher I ever had. I am so grateful for all of my wonderful IB teachers.  :giveheart:  :giveheart:  :giveheart: 

• 1 month later...

some of my teachers are the most incredible humans in the whole world and i adore them with all my heart and ok sure they're not always organised which i can't stand and maybe they have no clue what they're teaching but they are such brilliant people with all the knowledge in the world and they say the most profound things and they've found a spark in me that helps me love to learn and they're all so generous with their time and gosh i just love them so so so so so so much

others are pretty eh :/

Well, my Chemistry lecturer is pretty knowledgeable and fun and he's awesome!

My Eng Lit lecturer is a feminist so she's pretty funny when it comes to books like Woman at Point Zero and I know why the caged bird sings. She's good too!

My Math lecturer is very very very very wise and knowledgeable, and the way he teaches math is super duper awesome but my classmates just doesn't like it. But I like his style a lot haha.

My Physics lecturers are craps. The first one was an A-Levels teacher who substituted in but he isn't that good as he contradicts his words occasionally. The second one was an undergraduate lecturer so he is pretty good in explaining, just that he always teaches something beyond the syllabus (like something we will learn in Chem or something for the undergrad level which kinda confuse us).

My French ab initio lecturer is really good. She's the examiner for the DELF exams so she is really good and patient in teaching us from the basics.

My Econs lecturer, OMG he's da bomb. He is so chill with us and we can basically do anything we want in his class. He gives us pretty good notes and his teaching is easy to understand.

Well, for ToK, I usually zone out so I really do not know what my teacher's talking about. 

Basically, most of them are okay or good. Just that for Physics, I really have to put in a lot of effort to self study... which is bad.

• Like 2

My History teacher has a double Doctorate degree, and the best accent imaginable. I love him so much! I think most of my teachers are good to great, except for the fact that some of them spend more time on teaching courses than actually teaching. IB is 5 years old in our school, and I think it's becoming stabler and better each year, I've heard horror stories of previous years.

• Like 1

My History teacher has a double Doctorate degree, and the best accent imaginable. I love him so much! I think most of my teachers are good to great, except for the fact that some of them spend more time on teaching courses than actually teaching. IB is 5 years old in our school, and I think it's becoming stabler and better each year, I've heard horror stories of previous years.

Omg what horror stories? XD

The teachers I have at my school are pretty good. My English teacher is chill and really funny. She also gives really good feedback on essays. My history teacher is good considering it's his first year teaching IB. My Chem teacher is scary but is also pretty great. Bio teachers are good. Band teacher.. like as a person more than a teacher. Spanish teacher is really cool and chill. It's the non-IB teachers people complain about :P A reason why I  think I want to stick with IB 

My chemistry teacher is incompetent. My APWH teacher is an angry lady at about 4'9"...My english teacher is getting ready to retire...my health teacher probably needs to start arranging his funeral, and my Alg 2 STEM teacher is like four feet tall but awesome...My band teacher is insane and by far my favorite, and my spanish teacher is a great teacher, for a second-year teacher at my school. Lol...

• Like 1

My first year of IB has not been a great start...there were some issues with both my Geography and Physics teachers where they were absent due to legal issues for the first semester. In Geography we have had a decent replacement but as for Physics, we were introduced to a temporary teacher with zero IB experience. Our exams start Monday and though I am comfortable with Geography, I cannot say the same for Physics. I have been deeply confused in the class and hopefully following the Christmas break, I am relieved with an IB experienced teacher who can get me to where I need to be.

Other than that, my teachers are very considerate...couldn't ask for better ones!

• 6 months later...

Some teachers (History HL, Economics HL) are really experienced in teaching in the IB and therefore good, even while being quite demanding (but come on, IB is supposed to be demanding!). Others are, well, different. I personally love the TOK, but my teacher was so not-very-competent in the subject that she even struggled with reading my essay, let alone giving some useful advice!