Does any assessment other than internal and external count into the final grade?

jordan5560

I'm in IB year 1 and have started the course for two months. I want to know whether formative assessment, as what my school calls it, counts into the grades in the report card? I always thought there're two types of assessments: internal and external. If the teacher doesn't mention it is an iA, do I have to worry about the score I get since it won't affect the final grades at all?

Edited by jordan5560

Guest moonkyu97

Formative assessments are like pop quizzes; they are there to help teacher know how much you understand the content, and also help you assess yourself, so don't worry about them too much. They will not affect your grades in a significant way. But you know, if you think it that way, none of the formative and summative assessments will matter in the end, since almost 80% of your IB Year 2 final grades are based on IB Exams. If you are like whatever on formatives, you would not be helping yourself.

The so-called "formative" assessments will not affect your final IB grades (which you'll get after you have done the final exams). However, they might affect the grades that you'll get in your report cards; and this depends very much on your school and on your teachers. For example, in my old school, the teachers often used students' quizes and in-class essays, and sometimes even in-class participation, to give grades to students (which will then be written down in the report cards). On the other hand, some schools use mock exams to assess students' academic levels. So to be absolutely sure, I suggest you to ask you school teachers about it.

P.S: report cards have nothing to do with IB grades. So don't worry about it too much (except when your parents ask you to show them your report cards :P )

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for classifying to me. But now this leads to another question: Do report cards matter when applying to universities? I heard applicants who have been accepted into a specific university would be asked to send his/her transcript of the school results throughout the years studying in that school.  :dontgetit: Do they only require doing this to make sure the applicant was actually studying in high school?

Yes, report cards absolutely matter, especially in the US. I had to send in a record of my grades from 9th grade up until the fall semester of my 12th grade year to every university that I applied to when I was applying to schools. They need to see some record of your academic history. And how well (or poorly) you've done will definitely affect the quality of schools that you have a chance at getting in to.