Closed

Deltacookie23

Well, I don't think your subject choice is easy as such but, if I were you, I'd definitely do something about this Film. This subject is considered the easiest among all the ones you've chosen so far. It is not true that you have to do a subject in Group 6. You simply have to have 6 subjects overall which means you can choose any other subject from the other five groups.

If you're aiming for a university course involving Business and Management, then stick to this subject. It may be considered easy but not when that's what you need for your university. And I'm not sure it's THAT easy after all, few of my friends say it gets a bit more complex as they progress.

Economics sounds like a good idea if you're into the business field but if you're not interested then it might become a nightmare. However I'd say that if you're sure about your interests, go with Economics because it'll be relevant later on.

If not, then maybe consider taking another science (however two sciences on HL are awful, trust me) or maybe take another language, perhaps something B or ab initio if you have something like that offered, of course. 

:blowkiss:  :blowkiss:  :blowkiss:

Well if you're intending on applying to competitive universities then film and business management as HL subjects will hinder your chances. It decreases the overall rigor of your schedule which is something competitive universities dislike. You've got several options:

-Take them as standard level subjects as universities tend to care less about them (note this doesn't apply to American universities, mainly British ones)

-Take higher level economics instead of BM as it's much more respected and you may not know this but economics is actually one of the easier higher level group 3 subjects. Then pull up either math/English or Chinese B to higher level and pull down film studies to standard level

-Drop film studies altogether and take another respected group 3 or 4 subject

Economics is actually really interesting, however, if you prefer the practical side of business/the economy then you're better off sticking to BM as economics is very theoretical. Even if you're interested in applying for business courses, universities prefer students to take economics as it's a respected course where as BM is a 'soft' subject. One thing you should note is that if you're looking at applying for math-like courses then you have to take HL math, likewise for physics.

Edited by Pink97

Considering the fact that you enjoy maths as well as physics and that you want to preferably study something math related in university I would suggest that you maybe change from film studies to economics. 

Not only will Econ be relatively easy for you because the HL extension is basically all simple math, but it will also show the universities that you have an interest in business and economics which could of course be a positive factor when they are looking at your application. 

Also if I hear what your future career or university goals are I doubt that you will ever need the knowledge that you claim in your film course again whereas economics will always be helpful might it only be to understand why a movie ticket has a certain price :)

I myself have started the HL econ course and I can assure you that the subjects is one of the easiest if you are relatively good in math. Got two 7s on my first higher level papers with only little revision because 90% of the whole test is common sense and with you being an SL math student the math is going to be very easy for you. 

Wish you best of luck with your choices !

You really should check out the sticky thread relating to the differences between Econ and Business in the Econ & Business forum. For any course relating to finance or business or marketing. It is really a good idea to take Econ HL. If you check out the subject requirements for these courses in most of the good universities, you will find that most colleges ask for Econ HL instead of Business HL. The reason is that once you study Econ, studying Business will be a piece of cake, considering that Econ is such an abstract and theoretical. Philosophy, politics, trade, psychology, mathematics are all connected to Econ in one way or another, making it an extremely versatile subject, thus making it a better subject to study at high school level as compared to Business. (which is a vocational course, better studied at undergrad or grad school)

I strongly recommend you to take a Math/Econ/English(which will enable you to concentrate on Math/Econ with Eng HL being a relatively easy HL), drop physics to SL (no point doing Physics HL if its not relevant to your career) and drop Film altogether (If you are really into Film, why not ask your IB coordinator to organize a theater workshop and you could do a play production through the school?)  

I wouldn't drop Film tbh, unless you absolutely need to take another subject in place of group 6, like some people take 2 sciences so no fun film or art things. As long as your other subjects are the right ones for the course you want to do, then why drop something you enjoy? And maybe I'm wrong, but I would think a person that goes into Economics or Maths/Physics but has Film as a subject is more well-rounded. I'd be nice to have a subject that you really enjoy in IB, so I'd tell you to keep it. 

As long as you have all the requested HL subjects by the uni, you should be just fine, because as I found out, when I came to the UK, is that they like diversity, appreciate creativity and love languages... as long as you fullfil the entry requirements of course.. I thought my subjects were ****, but just got accepted to Kings College London for biomedical science, so apparently it doesn't destroy your chances:)

If u wanna do something with Business the right choice is to drop Film and take ECO-HL given that it is not a subject u will enjoy.......... ECO-HL needs a lot of hard-work...but it is all worth in the end as many universities give a significant amount of importance to ECO..... So yeah, u enjoy film ryt?? So if u dont wanna drop it take 4 HLs... which is TORTURE.....  hope this helps! :)

please do consider taking ECO-HL..... it is a very wise choice.

Good Luck.