Sign in to follow this  

Is this cheating

I was doing a biology lab and looked at my older brother's lab from 2 years ago, i used the same question as he did but did my own research and data collection as well as my own knowledge for the lab but not for the research question. I feel like I should fail, is this cheating?

I was doing a biology lab and looked at my older brother's lab from 2 years ago, i used the same question as he did but did my own research and data collection as well as my own knowledge for the lab but not for the research question. I feel like I should fail, is this cheating?

If you're prepared to fail, then just go ahead and ask your teacher. 

If you're not, then ask your teacher really nicely

No, that shouldn't be called cheating. I mean, IB can't expect each student to come up with their own unique research question. Also, you haven't copied from any of your classmates. You should be fine! :)

I wouldn't worry about it, since lots of people have similar topics. If you're really worried about it, reword the question a little. 

Plus, if you only got the question from him, consider him a resource. Lots of people got the ideas for their IAs from other resources and just lifted the experiment or question. This is no different. Reword it, and it isn't even really plagiarism because the scientific concept really isn't his intellectual property, just arguably the wording.

• Like 1

Nah; I don't think so.

Labs in the sciences tends to be repetitive, so there's a good chance that the questions have been used many, many times. I don't think the IB would be particularly fussed though.

Technically it's not plagiarism, as you've still done your own work and not copied it off your brother

It isn't cheating. You are not expected to come up with ideas that no one has thought of before. 

Please do not use the exact wording as your brother, because that is likely to get picked up in plagiarism. But otherwise don't worry, I'm sure most people look for ideas about their pracs online anyway. 

• Like 1

As long as you are not copying his lab. And it sounds like you only took the question which is fine. Just reword it a little bit, so it sounds different.