Please help me choose which IB SL course to take

Nick4219

Hey all,

This is my first time posting on the site, so I'm sorry if i did not post this question in the right section.

Long story short,

Our IB Computer Science SL teacher quit at the end of the first 9-weeks of school and if a new replacement teacher can't be found by the end of next week the course will be canceled and all students will be forced to enter another IB class (especially seniors so that we can ensure we get our diploma). I'm actually very confident in passing the class without a teacher but we need the required IA supervision so it's not possible to stay.

Computer Science was my 6th area so I don't have to worry about taking another science but the choices I have available to me are...

-- IB Geography SL

-- IB Philosophy SL

-- IB Psychology SL

I took AP Geography in 10th grade and recieved a 5 on the exam so I do know the teacher.

I have no background in either Philosophy or Psychology. At the moment, I'm considering to switch into one of the first two.

What I was wondering was if anyone had any advice on which course would be the best to switch into?

I've heard the Geography is a lot of memorization and case studies and I don't have any background in Philosophy so I don't know how difficult the material is.

I'm also trying to balance out my EE work, IA's, college essays and so forth so I don't want to be bogged down by one class that ends up hindering my progress in all of my other courses. I'm just worried that geography is going to take a lot of work to catch up in and i'll end up falling behind in the rest of work. 

I appreciate any help!

Thank you.

IB geography is actually one of the easiest group 3 subjects. Yes, it's heavy on memorization but what group 3 subject isn't? You've got the background knowledge so it should be a breeze especially since AP/IB are equivalent. With that being said, if you prefer taking a new subject, I highly recommend psychology (totally not biased :P) as it's super interesting and is relatively easy to do well in if you're good at memorization. But if you're main aim is to steer clear of any work intensive class then don't psychology as the workload is quite high and there is A LOT to memorise.

• Like 1

Philosophy is easy AND it doesn't really involve much memorising. I really loved Philosophy. Basically if you're good at writing essays, constructing arguments and analysing stuff, Philosophy is a breeze. It's a bit weird in places but that's to be expected from such a subject. I did SL Philosophy with no background in it and had nooo problem. It depends on what kind of person you are, if you're more about facts and stuff then Psychology and Geography have memorising elements, whereas Philosophy will basically reward anybody who is able to make up logical bull**** and just think through things. If you don't have that kind of way of thinking, Philosophy may seem a bit harder.

• Like 1

If I were you, I'd not take Psych if you don't want a labour-intensive subject. Psychology requires a fair amount of work to do well in. The difference between SL and HL is small when it comes to the amount of material (the extra HL stuff is more to do with logical thinking than memorising anything, plus an extra option), and HL Psych required a fair amount of effort from me, though it was my favourite subject. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the help everyone!

At the moment, I'm strongly considering doing IB Philosophy SL.

I'm pretty sure I wont be doing Psychology because the teacher is somewhat reluctant on letting kids join and the students just completed their group IA's for the class.

IB Geography still seems like a good bet but but based off of what I heard on here regarding Philosophy (thanks 'Sandwich') I think I'll fit in there.

Thanks again!

Any more advice is still appreciated!

Philosophy is really the right choice to make. There is hardly any memorization when compared to psychology and is extremely fascinating if you have a inquiring and curious outlook to life.

PS- I'm actually surprised your school offers philosophy standard level.