History IA topic

breadcat

Hello world!

So, IB is slowly starting to trample my schedule with assignments, IAs, projects and whatnot. One of the assignments I have to do is a historical investigation, and I had to come up with a good investigation question, but I don't know if it's good or not.. This is my research question: To what extent did technological advancements during the Korean War help the U.S. and ROKA to retaliate against the North Korean forces?

Please tell me if I should narrow down my topic more, or if I should alter it. Any comments will be grateful:)

Your topic sounds fine for the most part. You may want to specify which technological advancements you plan on talking about, however.

In addition, you should probably re-word the retaliation part of your question. Perhaps something like "give the U.S. and ROKA an advantage over" would be better.

Hey there!

Honestly, I think you need to reconsider your RQ, mostly because there were no significant technological advancements between 25 June 1950 and the Battle of Incheon in September the same year. Against the North Koreans, the UN forces didn't have any significant issues after they managed to cut off their supplies following the Battle of Incheon. Had it not been for the Chinese, the war would have ended in October/November. It was all about military training, availability of military equipment and numbers. At the same time, technological advances didn't really help with the war against the predominantly Chinese army either. The Chinese, with their massive number, caught the UN forces by surprise (despite a clear warning from Mao sent through Indian President Nehru) in late October 1950, and forced them to withdraw. From January 1951, the UN forces managed to get up on their feet again, and the war was mostly around the 38th parallel. That never changed. It turned into a stalemate for 2 years, and an armistice was signed in July 1953. Technological advances, as far as I know, didn't make much of a difference in the Korean war.

If you have any information that proves me wrong, then disregard this (and, please, let me know the sources - I'd be really interested in them!). But, should I be right, then you really need to re-evaluate your RQ, as it would lead to nowhere. 

If you stick to this RQ, then I agree completely with Emmi. Retaliate is a very loaded word, and such words should be avoided in historical investigations (whether it is the IA, general essays, the EE or anything else). You want to keep a neutral tone throughout the essay, and unless you have evidence that Kim Il Sung was 'crazy' or anything of the like, don't say it. 

Anyhow, good luck!