Asking a girl to prom

King112

Hi. I'm new to IB as well as IBSurvival, so I apologise for any mistakes I make.

I recently shifted to an IB school, and I found out that I have to ask a girl to the prom. Its a few months away, but other guys have already started working on it. 

I have a crush on this really cute girl in my history class. I am a shy guy, and am considered a geek by most people. I seem to be getting mixed signs from this girl, but since I have never had a girlfriend, I could be reading something else. 

I also think I should mention the fact that my parents are against dating, but I'm not, and I

Any Advice? (Girls some advice would really be appreciated, Guys as well)

Edited by King112

Start getting closer to her. She sounds genuinely nice so she'd be nice to you since you are new. And once you get a bit more familiar, ask her to prom. Don't make it a big deal, like very 'official', just play the new-kid card: you're new and she's "one of the closest people you have in the school" type of thing. If she also likes you, she'll say yes anyway. If she doesn't, she is still likely to say yes if you kinda ask her as a friend. But if she's really cute (like popular cute) you might want to not wait very long. Honestly, if you're not sure about the signals, just try to get closer to her with no clear 'role'. Since you're new I think it's easier to do so without being obvious. 

Hope I helped :D

Just sort of begin talking to her. She's just a person, so approach her as such. You'll be a bit nervous understandably, but just talk to her like you would talk to your friends (unless you talk super inappropriately with your friends, in which case just talk to her like you would talk to an average person you interact with). Find out the kinds of things she likes and talk with her about that. If you can't, usually school is a good beginning discussion point. You can talk about the class or about homework or whatever. From there go on whatever signals you pick up from her. Even if it doesn't turn into a relationship, you can still go to prom as friends.

Please don't try any stupid pick-up lines or things like that on her. Jokes are good, but make sure it's at least sort of funny and relevant, and don't make offensive jokes unless you're sure she won't be turned off by them.

• Like 2

You should talk to her! Just be yourself, but don't come on too strong. Take your chances or else you will regret it.. trust me. I would know. Another thing you shouldn't do: get your friends to talk to her for you. Talk to her yourself and even if it seems difficult would you rather take the risk or dwell on what could have been if you didn't? Maybe she likes you. You never know until you talk to her. Start small and work your way up. Just start talking to her as soon as possible because the longer you wait, the harder it's going to get. Good luck! Hope things go well!

Edited by ShootingStar16

well, she like came to be my partner in TOK. we laughed and had some fun. later, we had a fest in school, and I ran into her at the library. when i asked her why she didnt go, she just made a funny face and laughed and i joined her. Thats it I guess. Are these good or bad signs?

I should mention that I was so desperate to figure out how to ask her out that I actually read up on WikiHow. 

And another quick question, (really sorry if I am annoying you all): Do girls like muscles and a six pack?

Edited by King112

Looks like things are going well between you two! So yeah keep talking to her. At the very least, she likes you as a friend. Tell her when you feel it's the right time (sooner is better than later. Like I said, it'll just get harder if you delay). Furthermore, it's best to do it when you two are alone. Maybe say something like this when you confess: look.. I really like you and I was wondering if you wanted to go to prom with me? I know it's easier said than done but if you really like her, you should go for it. 

Edited by ShootingStar16

Muscles and a six-pack mean nothing if you lack the confidence to even approach her and say hi.

Girls are just normal people. We aren't a mystical species that needs decoding, and we aren't all the same. Not all of us are into stereotypical girly things, so don't make that assumption. Talk to us like normal people, and you'll be fine.

• Like 5

The best way to get a girl to go to prom with you is to put yourself out there.

Wait until everyone is in the same sort of area (eg. Lunch, Recess, Assembly, etc.) and start singing 'Kiss from a Rose' by Seal. As you sing, make eye contact with her and smile. She will blush, and realise what's going on. As you come to the last line of the song ("A light hits the gloom on the grey,") turn away from the girl and face the principal of your school. He/she will be confused, and take advantage of that confusion to ask the principal to the prom. This has two possible outcomes:

1. In confusion, the principal says yes. Everyone will be as confused as they are. Smile and approach the principal, and then introduce another shocking plot twist! Slap them and yell, "NO! I want to go to prom with [girl's name here]!" The girl will see that you would even give up the principal to go to prom with her, and she will be so in love that you might get it on right then and there. As you consummate the new love, be sure to say "I knew we'd Seal this deal." This step is vital.

2. The principal says no. Start crying and turn away. As you turn, make eye contact with the girl again and look hopeful. She will certainly ask you out of pity.

It's a foolproof plan.

• Like 7

She sounds really nice! I think sometimes if you keep telling yourself that you can't do it it stops you... speaking as a girl who loves geeks, I can say for sure that it can be really endearing, sounds like she likes you!

I say keep it casual at first, make sure you two are really compatible, then go for it!

Good luck and keep updating! :D

• Like 1

The right kind of girl won't care about that, myself included. At my school our class is so small we don't have popularity or anything like that, and I think if you can show this girl your personality that's all that matters :)

But I also get that this doesn't answer your question, so I think the most attractive things in a guy are eyes and arms, but that's just me :D

We've always loved the guys who are funny too, so if you can make jokes around her I'm sure it can't hurt! :)

• Like 2