Sign in to follow this  

History EE ! Urgent!

I was told that my EE question is not properly phrased

This is it: to what extent did Nelson Mandela play the most important role in achieving black majority rule in Sout Africa in 1994?

I need help urgently. Also, how can you structure a history EE? Should you do an OPVL section?

Whether or not that is phrased properly depends on what your essay actually discussed. Right now, it sounds like you'll be comparing the roles of different people involved and eliminating others as 'not the most important'. If you want to prove that Nelson Mandela was important, phrase it like

"To what extent was Nelson Mandela's role important in achieving black majority rule in South Africa in 1994."

Something my teachers warned me about was putting a 'value judgement' in the title, so with yours you are already saying that Nelson Mandela's role was the most (or one of the most) important when theoretically his role could not have been important at all. Therefore I would suggest you change it to something like "How important was the role of Nelson Mandela in achieving black majority rule in Sout Africa in 1994?". This is basically the same format as my research question which my history teacher has said is good.

P.S And accourding to IB examiners comments it is better to intergrate OVPL into the body of your essay. So say when you first introduce a source you could comment on its reliability using a version of the OVPL format.

Good luck!