URGENT! Way too short history EE? Help!

gjung1997

My extended essay on history is only at 2771 words right now... I've seen many examples of other extended essays online and heard from other people that it is required? to be at 3500? to get full marks for the structure... Is this true? and is my essay way too short? My essay is on the Juche ideology during Kim Il Sung's Regime (1972-1994)... I really think that i cannot add anything more to it.. and i do not want to repeat anything too..!

There is nothing in the IB extended essay guide about it having to be above a certain length. However, from my teachers I know it is recomended to be at least 3000 and that you should really be having to cut rather than add words.

Your topic sound interesting - what is your reasearch question and how have you answered it so far, cause it sounds like there could be a lot to say?

• Like 1

my research question is 

To what extent did the Juche Ideology fail during Kim Il Sung’s regime?

i have of course talked about what the ideology is, the origin, the failure of it, cult of personality (evidence of failure), kim il sung's personal background, components of the ideology and then a conclusion. 

Edited by gjung1997

Hey there!

Your essay is indeed too short. Too bad, with such an interesting topic! I was considering a similar RQ for my EE actually, but ended up discussing a often-overlooked part of the Korean War instead. 

Do you discuss the possibility that the Juche Ideology has not failed? Bruce Cumings, a well-known revisionist who have published a lot of interesting things related to North Korea, claims that North Korea is the most autarkic country in the world in terms of economy. Doesn't this require some merit? Also, have you explored the practice of the Juche ideology purely in their economic policies, or also in diplomacy and defence (the two other key pillars of Kimilsungism)? 

I know quite a lot about North Korea (I've followed North Korean news, trends and analyses closely for the last three-four years), so if you want, I could possibly read through your essay and give you some feedback. Send me a PM, and we can discuss it more in detail.