Do I have to use PEE method for essays?

ellie

Hi guys! I'm writing my very first TOK essay, I have quite a few ideas and thoughts, but I'm having a really hard time forcing them into this PEE (point/evidence/explanation) stuff. I'm naturally good with words, I write a lot (NaNoWriMo yay!) and I have no problem putting together an argumentative and coherent essay, but PEE seems impossible.

So, is writing using that method that for people who would otherwise struggle in writing essays or should I still try to use it? (This also applies to English, I guess, but I thought maybe rules are less strict in TOK essays.) Thank you!

It's a good habit to not think of it as a rule, but instead think of it as a format to further improve your righting. You make a statement (P), and you give evidence to backup and prove your point (E), and further elaborate it to justify it (E). It will give you a strong position in your writing, don't think about it as something you're obliged to do. Besides, it's not compulsory, it's just a way to better improve your essays. You can by all means use your style, because in the end, ultimately, writing essays is a creative way to illustrate what's going on in your head, there can't be rules on how you can set that out. It's a form of art. Linguistic art.

It's not "optional" in other words. I see from your 'Huh' that my first answer may not have been satisfactory. Anyway, if you're so good at writing, you should be able to  PEE without a problem.

But it isn't an "optional thing" that you can tack on or discard for any piece of persuasive writing. Maybe the term "approach" is confusing you in this regard. I am not sure why the IBO and teachers persist in using the term.

Edited by Blackcurrant