History EE - Iceland being the "safest" country in the world (according to GPI)

jombayu

Hello you guys,

I love this idea of an EE but I have looked left and right and still can not formulate a good enough research question that has not been studied yet. I am not looking for you guys to create the question for me, but can you please tell me where to look. I am interested in the environment, especially in ending global warming, and I wanted to look into Iceland, from a political view, and see what makes it the safest country or most environmental safe country in the world (according to the Global Peace Index). I have looked everywhere and it seems like everything I have looked up has already been researched and answered by someone. Most likely because I am probably thinking to broad. But I do not know how to narrow my thinking, so don't bother telling me to that.

Please help..... My research question is due in 2 days

Thank you so much

John

Hey there!

I'm not sure if you're aware, but a history essay needs to discuss events that have occurred more than 10 years ago (i.e. before 2004). As such, the GPI data you will have to look at will have to come from before then. Honestly, though, I don't think this is a good topic for a history EE. It would have worked for a Politics EE perhaps, but not history. In history, you look at an event and its causalities or its consequences, for instance 'what caused WW1' or 'to what extent did the Versailles Treaty lead to WW2?' I'm not familiar with Icelandic history, but this is what you have to look for. I'm sure there has been a lot of political decisions in Iceland that has had important consequences. Why don't you look at its causalities? 

A very basic format for history RQs looking into causality is as follows: To what extent did [event/aspect A] lead to [event/aspect B]?

A very basic format for history RQs looking into consequences is as follows: To what extent was [event/aspect A] a result of [event/aspect B]?

If you're thinking too broad, as you suggest, then I suggest you go through what you've read and find something within those texts. If the text is about China's economic policies under Deng Xiaoping, for instance, and mentions the Sino-Soviet split in a paragraph, then why don't you focus on to what extent the Sino-Soviet split ultimately led to the economic reforms? I know this is far from related to Iceland, but that's essentially what you'll need to do. Does that make sense to you?

See my answer in this thread for a general overview of how to develop a research question and how to go about things: http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/27373-ee-film-rq/?p=206632

Good luck! 

• Like 1

Wow, yes that makes a lot more sense. I guess I do want to look more into the political aspect of it. Can you please tell me more about politics and if this question would fall under it:

"To what extend has the use of hydrocarbon energy, affected practices in the fish industry."

or something like that..... I have no idea!

Well, the thing is, if you're doing a history IA, it should deal with a historical event, or historical policies or something like that. For that particular RQ, you need to specify time and place in the very least in order for it to be history-related. As should be apparent from my signature, I didn't do Politics, and I can't help you a lot there, beyond general advice. However, if you don't do Politics yourself, I would discourage you to go that route. You wouldn't know how the IB does politics, nor the topics that are covered and the research methods used, so that would give you a lot more work than necessary. 

If you really want to do this on Iceland, read about Icelandic history and go from there. Choose a general period you're interested in, and follow the step-by-step guide I wrote in that other thread. 

• Like 1