Choices for IB Mathematics

DanielCollinson

Hi, Everyone

I've recently reached to a point where i'm unsure on the choices of weather to maths SL or Studies. i've always thought that i could do alright but due to the fact that i've taken a test recently, i didn't do so well as i would thought i would. I'm in Y12 and is deciding on changing cources, from Mathematics Standard to Studies. I just want to get some opinions on weather i should change or not. One thing i forgot to mention, was that i was planning to go to UNI in the UK and major in Architecture. I'm already taking Art, Econ & English land and lit HL as my courses, and was wondering weather in the UK they have an opinion on taking mathematics Standard or Studies. On the case of where i could achieve an minimal grade in standard against taking math studies and getting a pretty good score. I would really appreciate the feedback and thoughts.

Thanks Guys.

Well, it depends on what universities you've chosen. Some do care about whether you have studies or standard - mostly they prefer SL; they want you to have a sort of "stronger" subject and get a 5 other than take studies and get a 6. But since you've mentioned you're aiming for Architecture then maybe it wouldn't really matter in your case. You should check your universities' requirements to be sure. 

Personally, I suggest you try to do Maths SL. It might seem difficult and it obviously is (trust me, I'm feeling it right now), but you can always drop a level down. Try to push your limits and maybe you find that it's actually not so impossible as you initially thought. Maths SL is basically Math HL but without few topics and you don't go so in-depth with them. But even though it's so complex at times, I think you should try doing it for as long as you can. It will definitely benefit you.  :shifty:

My friend also want to apply to British universities for architecture - she does HL math, though. The counselor said universities require either HL/SL math for architecture. Taking studies will reduce your chances at competitive universities as most student will apply with SL/HL math.

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/architecture/
http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/prospectus/subject/architecture/entry-requirements/

If you look at the entry requirements of those universities you'll realize that they prefer student take SL physics and HL/SL maths. So make sure you're taking at least standard level physics/maths.

I would highly discourage anyone, even people who do not consider themselves to be proficient at math, from taking Math studies. No university appreciates it and, honestly, no peer respects it. It is sickeningly easier than some of the prerequisite classes, at least where I am. Math SL definitely has some material that might be difficult for some people, but I believe it is worth the effort over math studies in almost all cases.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

For architecture I'd recommend SL or HL math however if you are struggling with math now just keep in mind that it gets harder, most can keep up though it just takes more dedication and work.

I personally take Math Studies and enjoy it, it all depends on what you want to do later on and for architecture SL math is a requirement at most universities.