Is there such rule as "students who scored 5 or above in Language A cannot choose Language B (Acquisition) in IB"?

jordan5560

Is there such rule as "students who scored 5 or above in Language A cannot choose Language B (Acquisition) in IB"?

I scored a 5 in MYP for Language A and now I'm struggling with the difficulty that has been increased rapidly in IB. The principle in my school told me because the school has to follow the guideline provided by IB, they cannot let me change from Language A to Language B since I scored a 5 in MYP. Currently I'm taking double A and find it very demanding and challenging. To persuade the principle, I need to know if there's such rule in the policy.

You can only take Language B if you have 2-3 years of experience. It means that if you're fluent and you scored a 5, you probably aren't able to switch. Language B is meant for people who studied a language before but aren't completely fluent. But since you're taking two Languages A then maybe try to persuade your IB coordinator that the second one is not your mother tongue. Maybe it'll work...

However, in my Language B class there are at least 3 people who were born in the country where they speak the given language and yet they were allowed to take it as a Group 2 subject... It's really unfair since my school doesn't offer any other languages besides English and Danish, therefor the ones that have never had Danish in their life (which is the majority) were forced to take this specific course even though we might not make it... It's a really stupid decision but since they were able to do it, you could try to convince your coordinator that way.

Good luck!!!  :blowkiss:

• Like 1

How many years have you been studying this language academically? I have been studying French in school since 5th grade and I was still eligible to take it at B level (I don't take my mother tongue Italian as a subject). If this language isn't your usual academic subject or mother tongue, you should be able to take it at B level.

PS- I haven't heard any IB rule like that.

Hope I helped :)

I am pretty sure you can choose English B, I have met plenty of people who are fluent in a language and chose it as their language B - they have taken that language in A and have received a 5 or above in the Pre-IB year/MYP. 

However, many universities in English speaking countries would probably require English A - just keep that in mind.