Help with the structure of Written Task 1

lotangley

I really need help with the structure of my written task. I'm writing a guide on how men can attract lesbians by speaking more feminine (it's going to be very ironic) but the problem is that I don't know how to structure a guide...

Should it be a step by step guide, kind of like a manual? Or something completely else? Also, should I be formal or informal in my writing when trying to guide a person but still be ironic?  

A couple of questions will perhaps decide some things. Have you asked yourself

- what knowledge and understanding (criterion A) you are trying to demonstrate?

- what aspect of the course are you concentrating on (gender? Identity? ...) ?

- what learning outcomes (as defined by the IBO in the course guide, not your personal ones) are you aiming for?

Your idea is odd and interesting, but unless it conforms to the IB aims, that's all it ever will be. 

Lotangley is not asking for a handful of generic examples (at least this is what I gather from the message). None of those examples on that site will help, because the problem is of *concept, not really about writing "a manual". 

Can you write an "ironic manual for lesbians and gays" -- the short, quick,  byte-sized answer is 'yes'... you can write or do almost *anything* 

But the next question, and the one at the core of your own question:  what are you trying to SHOW? (i.e. back to those questions about purpose and aims I asked earlier + Criterion A and Cr. B). And is "manual" a realistic genre for irony? 

I'm concentrating on the different speech patterns of men and women using Tannen's six contrasts. It is guide that will explain how to speak more feminine for men who want to attract lesbians which is really ridiculous and that's why I want to use irony in my text. My LangLit teacher said that it was okay to use irony in my guide so I hope that it will work even though it may not be the most realistic of genres. 

Men who want to attract lesbians?  OK - well anything goes, I guess :D

Rather than a manual, how about a guide book? And how about making it for trans-sexuals? It would make more sense... They need to walk the walk and talk the talk wouldn't they? That's right in line with Tannen's ideas on the Discourse (big D and small d) patterns of men and women 

My task is a bit unusal, I know  ^_^

I am sort of writing a guide book and it brings up Tannen's six contrats in six different steps so it is very alike,or actually it is a guide book already. 

Your idea about trans-sexuals sounds even better than mine but the problem now is that my written task is due to tomorrow so I have no time to change my mind :/ 

Right now I'm struggling to write my Rationale, I don't know how to write what I'm trying to show with my task and how it is linked to the aspects of the course being investigated.... 

I'm really happy that we are going to write two more Written tasks because it feels like I'm going to fail this  :(