is it possible to get enough hours of sleep in IB?

Haha that is a very common question in IB. If you ask me, most of us do, because a lot of us procrastinate. But, if you go by organizing your workload conveniently in manageable amounts, you should have no problem with getting enough sleep. Sure, you won't get 10 hours of sleep a day, and you have got to make do with 8: a very good amount. 

I think it's just a matter of time management (and ambitions - if you only want to pass and aren't neccessary dreaming about "the magnificient 45", then you will probably end up with more time for sleep). However, it's quite difficult, IMO, to organise your time in such a way that you are still able to sleep ~8 hours a day. Well, at least I wasn't able to do it and am often sleep deprived. :)

Edited by Sceptyczka

It's very difficult, but doable. You have to work hard and create a schedule for yourself so that you are always on track with what you're doing.

However, even if you are not a procrastinator (which you will become when in IB), there will be many nights where you stay up late to finish assignments and homework. I've been on a solid 7 1/2 hours of sleep lately which is pretty good! :)

Im in the full IB diploma program and I going to be completely honest. Don't expect to get 8 hours every night like we are supposed to at our age. IB is a lot of work. People don't lie about that. Part of the problem with IB is the fact that its for high school. We are at the age, meaning 16-18 age, where we are beginning to become more and more independent. From parents especially. We don't really want people telling us what to do anymore. We want to try to do things on our own. This is stupid of us because we are still kids that need to know when to ask for help or when to know when to take a breather. So I guess the whole thing with sleep is just be careful with it. Sleep deprivation leads to even more stress than you had before. Make sure if you really just dont have it in you to finish an assignment or essay. Talk to your teacher, ask for an extension. GO HOME AND TAKE A NAP. You'll feel much better afterwords and you'll have the energy to make a kickass essay instead a crappy sleep-deprived one. :)

Yes. It is very possible. In fact, unless you have a massive number of subjects (8-9), massive external commitments, personal issues(medical, emotional, etc), horrible time-management skills or any combination of the same, you WILL get enough sleep. I'd imagine that this changes when your EEs and ToK essays and IAs are due, but for the most part, you WILL get more than enough.

I find people seriously overrate the difficulty and intensity of the diploma. It really isn't as difficult as people make it out to be, and people would find it a lot easier if they just got on with it rather than fussing and fretting about how they don't get enough sleep "cause I'm a #IBStudent" or "because the IB is really hard".

I get around 6 hours per night, but not because of anything with the diploma.  I finish everything that could possibly be related to school by 9, and then do my own stuff: talk to friends, read, etc till 12, at which point I go to sleep. I wake up between 6 and 6:30 a.m. each morning, which gives me a solid 6 hours. 

• Like 1