Historical Investigation - Footnotes

Terminator

Hey guys,

Just wondering: what type of information can you present in the footnotes in a Historical Investigation (apart from page number citations from sources ofcourse). Been seeing some samples which seem to have certain content down there, which is not counted in the word count. Can be really helpful actually.

Hey guys,

Just wondering: what type of information can you present in the footnotes in a Historical Investigation (apart from page number citations from sources ofcourse). Been seeing some samples which seem to have certain content down there, which is not counted in the word count. Can be really helpful actually.

Yes, you can. The most common use of footnotes (apart from referencing) is to include some brief explanations of some concepts that you've mentioned in your essay. This is often used by professional writers, especially in books. For example, if I've mentioned 'revisionism' in my essay, then I can put a little footnote that explains briefly what revisionism really means. Now since the explanation is very brief, the concept itself should not be an important part of your essay. This means that if your essay is about 'revisionism', then don't ever put your explanation of what revisionism means inside the footnotes.

Note that the examiners who'll grade your essays are not supposed to look at those footnotes. Of course, in most cases, they'll always read your footnotes. But if they see that you are trying to cheat the word-count system by putting important information down there, then you'll get marked down.

• Like 1