Business and Management IA help!

Hey! I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if I can ask tips on getting a really good mark on my IA?

For my IA, I chose Nintendo as my company and my question is "Will the release of the product 'Amiibo' increase Nintendo's overall profit?"

I'm planning on using a SWOT analysis as one of my business tools.  I was wondering if this tool is viable business tool to use for my IA? And mind if you guys recommend other business tools that can go well with my IA? Thanks!!

If you do SWOT, it has to be pretty darn good. It's hard to pull it off, imho.

It would be good if you used quantitative techniques, because your research question is about finance. It's very straightforward and can get you easy marks.
things you could use are:

• Cost-benefit analysis
  • Investment appraisal

Other tips:

• When using quantitative techniques, it would be good if you can synthesise some values. This shows critical thinking, something that's in criterion E. It'll also show you've skillfully applied the tools.
  • Follow the criteria closely. 
  • Remember to use tools (qualitative), techniques (quantitative) and theory.
  • Get your peers and teachers to proofread once you're done with your first draft. Just to make sure it makes sense.

I've found these webpages very helpful:
http://www.timwoods.org/2012/10/02/how-to-structure-a-business-and-management-internal-assessment/ 

http://www.timwoods.org/2011/10/10/how-to-get-full-marks-for-your-ib-business-ia/

Examples of tools, techniques and theory:

Theory

Above the line promotion

Below the line promotion

Corporate social responsibility

E-Commerce

Economies of scale

Leadership styles

Merger and acquisition … international marketing

Mission and Vision statements

Motivational theory

Sources of finance

Total quality management

Tools (qualitative)

Ansoff’s Matrix

Boston Matrix

Business Plan

Market Research … primary and secondary

Marketing Audit

Position (Perception) mapping

SWOT/PEST analysis (but only if this actually adds value to the Commentary)

Techniques (quantitative)

Break-even analysis

Cash flow forecasts

Investment appraisal

Ratio analysis

Working capital

If you don't already have the criteria:

A Supporting documents (If less than 3 supporting documents are presented, a maximum of three marks can be awarded)
0 There are no documents presented in support of the commentary.
1 The supporting documents are irrelevant.
2 The supporting documents are generally relevant but some lack depth.
3 The supporting documents are relevant and sufficient in depth.
4 The supporting documents are relevant, sufficient in depth and provide a range of ideas and views.

B Choice and application of business tools, techniques and theory
0 There is no use of business tools, techniques or theory.
1 There is a limited selection of business tools, techniques and theory.
2 There is a limited selection of business tools, techniques and theory, and these are superficially applied.
3 There is appropriate selection of business tools, techniques and theory, but these are superficially applied.
4 There is appropriate selection of business tools, techniques and theory, and these are suitably applied.
5 There is appropriate selection of business tools, techniques and theory, and these are competently applied.
6 There is a broad and appropriate selection of business tools, techniques and theory; these are skillfully applied.

C Use, analysis and synthesis of data (and supporting documents)
0 There is no use of data from the supporting documents.
1 There is inappropriate selection of data from the supporting documents.
2 There is appropriate selection of data from the supporting documents.
3 There is appropriate selection of data from the supporting documents with superficial analysis.
4 There is appropriate selection of data from the supporting documents with appropriate analysis.
5 There is appropriate selection of data from the SDs with appropriate analysis. Some integration of ideas.
6 There is appropriate selection of data from the supporting documents with appropriate and detailed analysis. There is coherent integration of ideas.

D Conclusions
0 There are no conclusions.
1 Conclusions are inconsistent with the evidence presented.
2 Some of the conclusions are consistent with the evidence presented.
3 The conclusions are consistent with the evidence presented and answer the commentary question.

E Evaluation and critical thinking
0 There is no evidence of evaluation.
1 There is limited evidence of evaluation.
2 There is evidence of evaluation, but not all judgments are substantiated.
3 There is evidence of evaluation, and judgments are substantiated. Critical and reflective thinking occurs.

F Presentation
0 The commentary exceeds 1,500 words.
1 The commentary is disorganized and lacks structure. Sources are not appropriately referenced.
2 The commentary is sufficiently organized and structured with some use of appropriate business terminology. Sources
are appropriately referenced.
3 The commentary is well organized and structured, with consistent use of appropriate business terminology. Sources are
appropriately referenced and an appropriate bibliography is provided.
Edited by nntl
  • Like 1