Bayview Admission Test

I applied to Bayview Grade 9 Pre-IB last year, at the time I held about an 87% average. I know one man who was academically gifted; 94% average, and he didn't get in. But with a 93 you should have no problems. My advice, stay calm, look at any other schools that offer Pre-IB in the area, and see if they have any study guided or reviews for the Pre-IB exam. Bayview's math and english exams were very easy last year. I wouldn't be surprised if I got 100% on both of them. The French was an entirely different story. 

I go to FMM, I'd recommend you apply to Bayview, FMM, and look into Victoria Park Pre-IB. These are the Pre-IB schools in the area. Apply to all three. Let me say this, FMM is very easy to get into, I have never seen anyone get denied. People with low-70 Grade 8 averages get into FMM Pre-IB; no problem. Apply to all three schools, the math exam at FMM is very easy, at least it was last year. The English exam is easy, but very lengthy. Nobody who got into pre-IB studied for the exam. My advice; relax, stay calm cause you'll get in, study if you choose to. From a person who's written the exam, no studying in necessary. I go to FMM Pre-IB in Grade 9, if you have any other questions ask me. What I can tell you, is FMM is really a great school. 

If you were wondering all of my marks for this semester has dropped, yours probably won't; that 93AVG is great.

My geo is gr. 8 was 96, now its a 93. 

My science was 87 in grade 8, now its 82.

My english in grade 8 was 90, now its 77. 

But don't worry, high school is a lot of fun, and the work load is very reasonable. When you go to your HS, make good friends, make the right choices, do your homework, take the initiative to study. You'll do great. No worries :D

I think you should take Bayview 's test. Just my biased opinion as a former student there :)

Bayview and St.Robs tend to be the most competitive IB schools (Bayview was a bit more competitive when I was applying because students don't take religion). With respect to tdawg's comment, Math and English portions of the test are often easy for everyone. Averages on math are apparently ~90%. French is usually the distinguishing factor for everyone - if you're not exceptional (i.e. immersion) at French, you'll find this test quite hard. Be prepared to make educated guesses on a lot of the questions. 

Like I said, I'm also a former Bayview student, and I had a pretty good time there. A lot of the people at Bayview IB are exceptional and extremely talented, so I suggest you to get to know them and even learn from them. 

Edited by by.andrew

No problem, but I agree with tdawg on the fact that the test requires no prior studying. Of course, some light review is always encouraged, but there is no need to go out of your way to study French. For me, the french section was extremely hard even after some light studying. But I still got in!

Some more things about the test: It is a multiple choice test. When I took the test, there was a slight penalty for wrong answers (prevent random guessing on the french section). However, if the mark penalty is less than or equal to 0.25 marks, you're mathematically better off guessing all the time, regardless of being able to eliminate a wrong answer. I also think that the French portion tested more about vocabulary (e.g. synonyms and antonyms) than grammar. Make sure you don't make silly mistakes on the Math portion. I don't really have any tips for the English portion, unfortunately, but use your best judgement. The answers won't be as obvious as the math portion though, so prepare to do some good guessing and thinking on this one too. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...