How demanding is HL Mathematics?

Emilia1320

Hi. I had a topic about Math HL not being offered in my school - now I've been thinking about having a distance teacher from another IB school, of course this would cost a lot and im not sure if I can afford it.

But theoretically speaking, how demanding would studying this way be? I need HL math for my future studies, at least for that I think I'm going to study now (engineering)

Another thing is I'm already having 7 subjects as I will be studying all chemistry, physics and biology.

It might be too challenging on long run, but I am quite confused with my choices now.

Thanks for reading

Hi. I had a topic about Math HL not being offered in my school - now I've been thinking about having a distance teacher from another IB school, of course this would cost a lot and im not sure if I can afford it.

But theoretically speaking, how demanding would studying this way be? I need HL math for my future studies, at least for that I think I'm going to study now (engineering)

Another thing is I'm already having 7 subjects as I will be studying all chemistry, physics and biology.

It might be too challenging on long run, but I am quite confused with my choices now.

Thanks for reading

Well, I just read the other thread that you started but i still don't quite understand. Do you really need all 3 sciences to do engineering? I mean what kind of engineering do you want to do?

Regarding the choice of subjects, it really depends very much on which universities you are thinking of applying. Generally Math HL is an important requirement for most engineering courses, while it's less likely so for the sciences. So I think you should take HL Math while dropping one or 2 of the sciences to reduce the workload.

Regarding whether it's possible to study HL math by yourself, this depends on what kind of person you are. If you are truly hard-working (and you love Math as you've already mentioned), then HL math is definitely the way to go for you. Now if it is your school's decision that you must have a teacher to be able to do HL math, then im afraid you have no choice but to hire a distant IB teacher. But you are not required to do that, then I think it's not necessary to have a distant teacher teaching you. Remember that having no teacher is not like the end of the world. You always have textbooks, internet, friends, and thousands of IB fellows on this forum to help you :)

Thank you :)

All sciences because I am not sure what kind of engineering I want to do; different areas of it require different sciences. Plus I really like chemistry and biology, and physics is there because its required on almost every area of engineering. Plus, my number two choice is medicine, which requires them.

I am planning to at any case get familiar with all HL math topics during my PRE year (of course I cannot really study much deeper than introduction but just to know what is it about), because it simply interests me, even if I never managed to study HL math :/

Does anyone know how much having distant IB teacher would cost?

And thanks for reading and support :)

I discussed with my teacher today and he said that it may be possible to do HL math independently.

Can anyone tell what level of knowledge I need beforehand? I'm currenlty studying independently Haese&Harris Middle years Programme book, if I do all tasks there is it enough or should I study some other book too so my base knowledge would be enough?

HL maths needs extreme dedication. They'll be times where your brain just switches of and nothing gets through to you and they'll be movements where it'll click. A good maths teacher is essential as they'll be parts in the IB where your teacher can help you sort out a few bits and bobs which won't be mentioned in your textbook. Which examination have you taken prior? HL maths is considered one of the hardest subject for a valid reason.

HL maths needs extreme dedication. They'll be times where your brain just switches of and nothing gets through to you and they'll be movements where it'll click. A good maths teacher is essential as they'll be parts in the IB where your teacher can help you sort out a few bits and bobs which won't be mentioned in your textbook. Which examination have you taken prior? HL maths is considered one of the hardest subject for a valid reason.

Thanks for response.

Yeah this is what I'm worried too :(

I can't propably do anything more for this, however this is quite painful spot for me as if means I must abandon my dream about university. But well, you can't have it all I guess :(

Thanks for help people, it's much appreciated :)

If you're able to do Maths HL and have a passion for it, then go ahead but it's not really easy as what I've heard. Good luck with it though if you do decide to take it! I advise you to take physics if you're planning to be an engineer because that's what all universities require for all engineering courses - and not biology. Don't over-stress yourself and over-think and you'll be fine.

If you're able to do Maths HL and have a passion for it, then go ahead but it's not really easy as what I've heard. Good luck with it though if you do decide to take it! I advise you to take physics if you're planning to be an engineer because that's what all universities require for all engineering courses - and not biology. Don't over-stress yourself and over-think and you'll be fine.

Thank you. As I'm only halfway through Pre-DP I have some time to prepare. As I mentioned above I'm currenlty studying Haese&Harris Pre-year (SL and HL pre material) book trough independently, as some kind of preparement for it. I'm still unsure if I will give a shot and if I do mathematics will be my fourth HL subjects so I can drop it if I feel like so

Thank you. As I'm only halfway through Pre-DP I have some time to prepare. As I mentioned above I'm currenlty studying Haese&Harris Pre-year (SL and HL pre material) book trough independently, as some kind of preparement for it. I'm still unsure if I will give a shot and if I do mathematics will be my fourth HL subjects so I can drop it if I feel like so

Good luck with it! I'm in IB year 2 (final year) so if you need any help you can always PM me.

• Like 1

Good luck with it! I'm in IB year 2 (final year) so if you need any help you can always PM me.

Much appreciated :)

I'm extremely confused to be honest. I am well aware of that it will not be easy and I will need to work hard. Also finnish elementary school program lacks some very key points of mathematics. I felt very lost when I came to Pre and there were plenty of stuff I had never heard of. On the other hand I managed to catch up quite easily and earned second best grade from first examination, and now all new things feel easy and I often study additional stuff, and I got best marks from mini-examination.

If I think this rationally I should propably forget about university and just study subjects offered, but I have a feeling I will regret if I don't even try, because lower third degree education is more about doing jobs by hand, which is not my cup of tea :(

Thanks for all support everyone :)))

All sciences because I am not sure what kind of engineering I want to do; different areas of it require different sciences. Plus I really like chemistry and biology, and physics is there because its required on almost every area of engineering. Plus, my number two choice is medicine, which requires them.

I am planning to at any case get familiar with all HL math topics during my PRE year (of course I cannot really study much deeper than introduction but just to know what is it about), because it simply interests me, even if I never managed to study HL math :/

If I think this rationally I should propably forget about university and just study subjects offered, but I have a feeling I will regret if I don't even try, because lower third degree education is more about doing jobs by hand, which is not my cup of tea :(

Thanks for all support everyone :)))

Maybe you are not realizing this, but from my point of view, I believe that you are giving your dream up too early. In fact, you haven’t even tried Math HL yet, but you seem to have been discouraged already, which is very bad. I am fully aware how difficult Math HL (and also HL sciences) really is, but I still think that you can do it, especially as you have quite a lot of time left. I’ll give you 2 reasons why:

1. Having no teacher is not like the end of the world because you will have lots of other helps. First of all, your textbook is the best help that you can get. I tend to think of my own textbook as my personal teacher; and I think you should do the same. Secondly, you have the internet, friends, and thousands of other IB fellows on this forum who are hungry to help you out :P

2. Don’t think that having a math teacher would help you solve all your problems that you are having right now. From my own experience, I believe that the teachers’ job is only to show you the path, but it is you who has to walk it. In other words, it is you who has to open up your brain, suck in those knowledge, and truly understand them. Don’t make a mistake of thinking that if you go to class and listen to every word your teacher says, you’ll get through exams. No, it is not like that! I promise you, as long as the IB exams are concerned, there is little or no difference between a student who has a math teacher and a student who doesn’t. Because after all, it won’t be your teacher who does the exams for you!

What I’m trying to say here is that if it is truly your dream of becoming an engineer, then why not try your best and achieve it! Many people have done it before; then why can’t you?  Be brave :)

Finally, a word of advice: it’s completely unnecessary to study 7 subjects. This is not only recommended, but you won’t get any credits as long as IB grades are concerned. As far as I know, the only people who take all 3 sciences are those who wish to study medicine in Scandinavia because it is one of the requirements. But since you are not even thinking of studying here, then why wasting time?

So I strongly suggest you to drop biology if truly want to study engineering. Or drop physics if you want to study medicine. Make up your mind and stay focused! According to the study done by Richard St. John, focusing on one thing is one of the most important traits of success :) (video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77RubAueWjg)

• Like 1

Thank you Vioh, you said what I tought but could not find words :)

I am eager to try. I can drop it if I feel like so :/ I just fear my student counselor will laugh me out. Her attitude was very discouraging and reason HL math is no longer offered is that some people have failed it before. When I mentioned about it her attitude was like "she is thinking too much about herself etc."

In my opinion denying me change to try is not right, as it also damages my future studies.

I think I have all possibilities to do well on math, since I understand things fairly easily, my grade on elementary was the best one without much effort and now I got second best grade from fairly hard exam. I also always want to understand things instead of only repeating mechanical operations as I remember better that way and also that's what mathematics is about. And I really am very interested in mathematics, and it starts to bother me if I don't undertand some topic :) and I study some topics that interest me individually just for fun already :D

I will maybe talk with my mathematics teacher, he is very understanding opposed to my counselor :/

Thx a lot :)))

Hi

Even though I am no Guru on this forum, I thought that I would reply to your post anyways. Generally speaking, if you are good in math and if you find applying logic to problem-solving interesting, you should very seriously consider going with HL math. I am taking the course at school and have no regrets. Despite initial discouragements from fellow teachers, who told me how challenging it will be, HL math is my favorite subject and the one I feel most confident in. In contrast to  HL history or even one of the science courses that requires a lot of commitment regardless of your proficiency, as long as you're really good at math, you'll likely find it to be one of your easier subjects. At least that's the case with me. The decision is entirely up to you, but i'd say its worth a try. 

You also mentioned that you are going to take physics, chemistry and biology altogether. This combination might be very challenging to cope with. You will be immediately fed up with all the monotonous lab reports and stuff like that. I'd choose 2 out of the 3, but once again it depends on you.

Regards

• Like 1

Hi

Even though I am no Guru on this forum, I thought that I would reply to your post anyways. Generally speaking, if you are good in math and if you find applying logic to problem-solving interesting, you should very seriously consider going with HL math. I am taking the course at school and have no regrets. Despite initial discouragements from fellow teachers, who told me how challenging it will be, HL math is my favorite subject and the one I feel most confident in. In contrast to  HL history or even one of the science courses that requires a lot of commitment regardless of your proficiency, as long as you're really good at math, you'll likely find it to be one of your easier subjects. At least that's the case with me. The decision is entirely up to you, but i'd say its worth a try. 

You also mentioned that you are going to take physics, chemistry and biology altogether. This combination might be very challenging to cope with. You will be immediately fed up with all the monotonous lab reports and stuff like that. I'd choose 2 out of the 3, but once again it depends on you.

Regards

much apprechiated :) I think I will give it a try as my fourth HL subject so I can drop it if I have to :)

If my teacher allows it of course :) I doubt my councelor will let me do it thou. But well, I'm never gonna know if I never even try! :)

Thanks people for help

Excellent approach. Good luck.

I ordered the book to prepare beforehand, and it looks awesome but sadly my counselor forbid me from doing HL math by examination/with distance teacher so I don't know what to do now :(

Best to sort this out with your counselor. There might be some formal issue with this.  HL math is considered to be very hard and it is also possible that your counselor believes that you might not be able to do it on your own (or with some hired tutor). Its really hard to say.

Excellent approach. Good luck.

I ordered the book to prepare beforehand, and it looks awesome but sadly my counselor forbid me from doing HL math by examination/with distance teacher so I don't know what to do now :(

Best to sort this out with your counselor. There might be some formal issue with this.  HL math is considered to be very hard and it is also possible that your counselor believes that you might not be able to do it on your own (or with some hired tutor). Its really hard to say.
Her attitude was very letting down and discouraging and she seemed to think I am thinking too much about myself. Well that might of course be but I do quite well realize how much effort it will take. In my opinion it's unfair such a important subject is not offered because it will severely damage my future plans :( means basically I need to study on lower level or study something else than engineering. I'm worrying myself sick because of this and trying to think about ways to do this :/

You could try talking to your classmates and checking out if someone is interested in HL math. If you manage to find a couple of students, you will be in a good position for negotiations with youe counselor. If you are the only one, it will be very difficult to get the course to be offered at school...

• Like 1

Why haven't you considered doing an irregular diploma without a group 3 subject? I mean, if your first two career choices are engineering and medicine, i doubt there are any group 3 subjects that would complement these career choices with the exception of perhaps ITGS for the former and psych for the latter. As for Math HL, doing it in the school with my classmates is hard for me as it is. But don't take my example. If you are really geared up for Math HL, it should be easy for you even if it is not in your school. Hope I helped :)