Faking data

ashimashi

would ib examiners find out if you were to fake your statistics or data. like for your extended essay for example, would they know if you were to fake statistics and just randomly make up a source and pretend like you got your information from there. like do they actually go and check?

Edited by Gaby
Don't write topic titles in block capitals. It's not nice to scream at people.
  • Like 1

would ib examiners find out if you were to fake your statistics or data. like for your extended essay for example, would they know if you were to fake statistics and just randomly make up a source and pretend like you got your information from there. like do they actually go and check?

Well..

There's not much that can stop you from faking data that you collect. So for example, if your experiment requires you to count the number of cars that drive by your house from 5pm to 6pm, that data is up to you to collect and provide in your EE - its validity cannot really be checked by the IBO. Same with experiment results actually. Some people in my school had to do their experiments in front of their supervisors, but yeah. 

On the other hand, you can't fake data that is published. If you're using the "number of female state school applicants that got an offer from oxford", you have to state it correctly, because it's published online. I don't know what the likelihood is that they'll check it, but you can be sure that if they do, you'll certainly lose a significant number of marks. Also, if you fake a source, it's really, really easy to check. I mean, c'mon. You're living in the era of google. It takes about 2 seconds to check something. I suspect that if your EE flows really well (no issues with data or experiments), it's even more likely that they'll check - I've seen my friends do science EEs and its just a nightmare during the experiment phase.  

Honestly, try to avoid messing around with data and sources. You're just asking for trouble.