Nov 14 English Lit HL Exam Discussion

TheATeam

I did the poem on paper 1 too, I think its more about finding a place to belong, a sense of warmth, loving and having a home-y feel. Hence, the title "The Hug".

For paper 2, I did the Drama question: 2. The one about the notion of being "Infinitely positive and a sense of doing good" and to what extent do you believe in this notion, Or something similar to that. Overall I think it was an ok paper 1 and 2, not too hard. But the questions (for me) needed a lot of processing until I actually understood what its asking for.

Edited by gallagher.may

the prose for paper 1 was from Birds of America and it focused upon Agnes' story, (as I later realized that the book is a bunch of short stories). i didn't like it at all, it really threw me, I felt the may 14 papers and november 13 paper were a lot more generous and rich but im sure i might have missed something. The prose just felt very dry overall but i guess you can pull out a basic theme of growth and growing up sort of thing. 

For paper 2 i did the first question, I didnt hate the questions as much as i guess my friends did, they obviously could have been better but i was really relived it was something i could answer! 

for those reading this in the future the Qs were - 

1. something about the motivation of selfishness  vs. generosity and how the playwrights use it as a driving force to shape their plays

2. I dont actually remember but something about being good?

3. This was about the turning point of the plays 

Paper One was alright...I did the poem and didn't find it too hard. Both of the texts were a bit strange though, I found. Although, I suppose that they were more open for individual interpretation, which could be a good or bad thing.

I really didn't enjoy Paper Two. I did question three in the drama section, which was about turning points. It was an alright question, but I don't think that I made a persuasive enough argument in order to attain a really good grade. Oh well.

The questions for poetry all looked pretty good. If only I had studied poetry...

I did the poem for paper 1 as well, mostly because it made far more sense to me than the prose ... and well, I just don't know how to write a commentary on prose. A weird thing about me, I suppose, I find them too restrictive.

Also, I think I may one of those rare people who chose question#2 (#8) from the prose section? I didn't go terribly but I really feel like I could have done a lot better, maybe if I had made up my mind about which question to answer earlier and had more time to write. I kind of wish I had done #9 because looking back on it, I could have made a pretty compelling argument ... oh well ._..

Felt like I didn't nail down the key points for the prose extract and probably should have done "The Hug" instead. As some contributors have mentioned, the piece was honestly rather boring. Discussed irony, the sardonic voice of the narrator among some other points... Hope marking isnt too strict this time  :surrender:

For P2, I feel like the questions are becoming increasingly difficult, perhaps especially for my text selection. Attempted Q1 on "opposing motivations" in the end ... 

Hope the paper went well for you guys :)