UBC personal profile?

ShootingStar16

I'm in grade 11, and I'm already starting to think about what universities I'm applying for. UBC is my first choice and I know you need a personal profile. I was wondering if I had a good chance of getting in with my marks so far as well (I'm going for Faculty of Arts).

So far, I think I want to use band, Spanish, social and possibly biology. For my personal profile, I have done some volunteer work, I take art classes every week for over 10 years, I play an instrument and I'm in this volunteer club at my school called Rotary. Next year I think I want to get more involved in peer tutoring at school. 

My marks so far for the classes I'm considering: 

English 90

Spanish 98

Social 96

Biology 96

Band 100

If I keep this up, what do you think are my chances of getting into UBC arts? I'm really anxious because it seems really really competitive. It's probably too early to determine this, but I just want to have a rough idea of where I'm at. 

Edited by ShootingStar16

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm in grade 11, and I'm already starting to think about what universities I'm applying for. UBC is my first choice and I know you need a personal profile. I was wondering if I had a good chance of getting in with my marks so far as well (I'm going for Faculty of Arts).

So far, I think I want to use band, Spanish, social and possibly biology. For my personal profile, I have done some volunteer work, I take art classes every week for over 10 years, I play an instrument and I'm in this volunteer club at my school called Rotary. Next year I think I want to get more involved in peer tutoring at school. 

My marks so far for the classes I'm considering: 

English 90

Spanish 98

Social 96

Biology 96

Band 100

If I keep this up, what do you think are my chances of getting into UBC arts? I'm really anxious because it seems really really competitive. It's probably too early to determine this, but I just want to have a rough idea of where I'm at. 

Your marks are really good and you have a good chance of getting into UBC Arts. And it is also true that if you are applying to the Faculty of Arts at UBC, they don't care much about your Maths grade. However, UBC is IB friendly, and if you have a 32+ grade in the IB, then I'd recommend sending that score. If you answer your essay questions well in the Personal Profile, your chances will be bright.

• Like 1

When you go into universities like that where almost every applicant they have considered have the same grades/standards/achievements it comes down to a few other things. I think those few other things are:

1) what 11 and 12 course did you take

2) what challenging subjects did you take

3) your personal statement.

I would recommend you take focus on your personal statement (I don't know if they ask for this) because that's what makes you unique. Other than that, yea you should keep up those amazing numbers and take part in as Many extra curricular activities as possible and especially those which involve art.

Nevertheless I think you should do fine.

Good luck!

• Like 1

And I don't have my IB scores yet. Where I live, you get percentages and you actually don't get the IB scores on your report card. I have a choice between using my regular curriculum mark (the ones I posted) or I could wait and see what my IB marks are (the conversions are high so I might use them depending) 

Edited by ShootingStar16

well my marks went downhill a bit (social dropped to 90, band dropped to 92, Spanish is 92ish, English is 92 and Bio is 95). 

I still believe your marks are very good. I got into UBC Arts, and my IB subjects in % were all in the 80s. However, I believe the essays in my personal profile were really good so that tipped the scales back up for me.

Faculty of Arts is relatively easier to get into than the other faculties. And the good thing is, once you come to university, you can switch faculties by meeting certain requirements (if you want to).

well my marks went downhill a bit (social dropped to 90, band dropped to 92, Spanish is 92ish, English is 92 and Bio is 95).

Chill out! These are not your final marks, are they? You can always get them back to 95+. Actually even with your present numbers those marks are impressive. Just make sure you keep them above 90 especially subjects like band and English. What I would suggest work hard for the finals of 12th grade. If you get excellent marks (basically your former marks) then, you can apply for scholarship (if you want to) and other such benefits (I don't know what the scholarship structure in UBC is). Again, getting scholarship would be competitive so be prepared.

Nope they aren't my final marks. I think they're looking at my grade 11 marks most likely since all my courses are full year, so when I apply, I won't have my grade 12 marks completed. They look at your completed course marks. For UBC, you are considered for this renewable scholarship that covers more than your total costs every year if you apply before a specific deadline. 

Edited by ShootingStar16

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...