Sign in to follow this  

are 16-17 year olds kids?

Legally? Kids ^_^ At least in most of the world, you're counted as an adult at 18. 

Mentally, I'd say it depends very much on how mature you are. ;)

EDIT: Young adults or teenagers may be a better word than kids though. 

Edited by Sofia.

Well I just turned 17 this August and I'm in IB year 2, while others in my grade will be turning 19 or 20 this year when they receive their diplomas.. So it depends. And I agree with Sofia, it really depends on maturity and not the age.

You've raised an interesting point.

But the questions really should : in whose interests is it to define someone of this age a "kid" and under what circumstances. I don't mean "who" as an individual person, necessarily, but big, large power structures -- all of which is studied by critical discourse analysis (try for example research done by Srikant Sarangi, Ruth Wodak, Noam Chomsky etc).

Likewise, whose (or which) interests are being served by calling you a "patient" or "customer" or "single mother" or ... It's the stuff you're teachers of English should be teaching you. 

None of these terms really define an actual, factual, biological state. They are arbitrary and ideological. Sarangi, Wodak, Chomsky will show you this. Not tell -- show.

Edited by Blackcurrant